September 15, 2014

Pee Wee's Playhouse movie has a script, but does it have a screen?

by Danny Gallagher, posted Dec 15th 2009 2:00PM
Pee Wee HermanNow that Pee Wee Herman's big comeback is officially in full swing, more news is coming down the pike and today's secret word is "movie."

Pee Wee told the press he has a script for a movie (AHHHHHHHH!) based on his popular Saturday morning kids' show Pee Wee's Playhouse. He said the movie (AHHHHHHH!) would bring back all of the show's original characters and take them out of the playhouse and into the broader, fictional world of "Puppetland." It's also described as a family-friendly movie (AHHHHHHH!), although judging from the reaction my old man had to the show when I watched it as a kid, "family-friendly" might be a loose term for this movie (AHHHHHHH!).

A Pee Wee's Playhouse film has always been lurking around in development hell. An earlier version with Johnny Depp as the title character was being shopped around way back in 2007. If Pee-Wee's Playhouse became a mo.., er, feature film, would you watch it?

michelle

i agree. it HAS to be the original PeeWee. Do it Right or don't do it at all!! that would be awesome! (btw i'm watching the pee wee movie on tv right now and i'm pretty sure they were tripping balls when it was written).

January 09 2010 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brandon Hall

YES! YES! YES! I would go see the movie 100 times.

December 16 2009 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

I want the dark Pee Wee movie (it was one of two movie plans) that he was discussing some years ago. I absolutely love "Big Adventure" and was perfectly done by Tim Burton. One of my favorite scenes is when he has the whole neighborhood in his basement and he just goes nuts.

December 16 2009 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

Pee-Wee's playhouse was a truly innovative, weird and wonderful kids show and I was heartbroken when his peculiarities came to light and ruined his career.

Totally understandable results given that he was making shows for kids but still heartbreaking.

I hope he can reintroduce PeeWee to us and I wish him success.

December 15 2009 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ThrowingChicken

Oh I will be there without a doubt.

December 15 2009 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Billie

I've heard Johnny does a killer PeeWee impression, but I don't think I'd want to see a movie version. Get PeeWee to do it or nobody.

December 15 2009 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emma

YES! I grew up on Pee-wee's Playhouse and Big Adventure and every year my mum and I watch Pee-wee's Christmas Special without fail. Say whatever you want about Paul Reubens' personal life, but Pee-wee was one of the greatest kids TV programs ever and I will be first in line to see his new movie (AHHHHHHH!).

December 15 2009 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Not Bitter

Pee Wee was going to make a Karate lid movie.
Pee Wee wax on Pee Wee wax off.

December 15 2009 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rufus

AHHHHHHH! NO! Nor will MY children!

December 15 2009 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply