April 18, 2014

What is Matt Groening's favorite episode of The Simpsons?

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 16th 2009 3:03PM
The SimpsonsMore than most other shows, it's almost impossible to pick a favorite episode from The Simpsons. When a show is around for 20 years, it's hard to narrow it down to the one episode that stands out among all the rest. Sure, there are episodes that stand out to me immediately (none from the past four or five years, that's for sure), but it would be hard to choose my favorite.

The new issue of Emmy magazine asks several writers and producers from the show what their favorite episodes are, including creator Matt Groening. Can you guess which episode he picked?

He picked "Lisa the Skeptic," which aired during the 1997 season (it's amazing to think that so many years ago was the 9th season of the show). That's certainly a solid pick, and gives you some insight on what Groening looks for in his own show. Here's a clip from the episode.

[Watch clips and episodes of The Simpsons and other shows at SlashControl.]

Wayne

"The Mysterious Voyage of Homer" has always been my favorite episode. It's the one where he eats the insanity peppers and hallucinates all night.

December 17 2009 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ella

I HATE the preachy Lisa eps.

December 17 2009 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

Kids News (or however it was spelled)

December 17 2009 at 6:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Phil's comment
Phil

Actually it was called "Girlie Edition"

December 17 2009 at 6:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darsh

Homer: All right folks, get your angel glow sticks. No-one gets into heaven without a glow stick.

Ned: I'll take four!
----------------------------------------------------------
Homer: Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! Facts, schmackts.
----------------------------------------------------------
So many quotes in every episode.

December 17 2009 at 5:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

"Marge vs. the Monorail" is definitely my favourite, but most of my friends consider "You Only Move Twice" the pinnacle of the series (and it's hard to argue with the greatness of Hank Scorpio).

I'd also put "New Kid on the Block" and "A Streetcar Named Marge" up there. But there are so many good ones!

December 17 2009 at 5:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Funny, I'm watching the 9th season on DVD, and the episode I got up to tonight was Lisa the Skeptic. I got to watch Matt Groening's favorite show the night I found out it was his favorite.

December 16 2009 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DanMan

Deepspace Homer for me.

"Careful, they're ruffled!"

December 16 2009 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Alan

I'd vote for A Streetcar Named Marge. The musical version of Streetcar is absolutely hilarious, Maggie's trip to day care is also filled with laughs, and the ending is legitimately touching.

December 16 2009 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcc3

and just think: even then people were saying the show was "not as good as it used to be," "going downhill" =etc. (Jump the shark was not yet in common use)

December 16 2009 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alk02g

both of my choices are also very, very old. Kamp Krusty is definitely at the top, and just below it is the episode where Bart is helped write the song "Lisa, it's your Birthday... Happy Birthday Lisa..."

December 16 2009 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply