September 3, 2014

Men of a Certain Age is kind of depressing

by Jane Boursaw, posted Dec 17th 2009 10:02AM
Men of a Certain AgeI've been hearing good things about Men of a Certain Age, the new TNT series starring Ray Romano, Scott Bakula and Andre Braugher as three best friends in their 40s dealing with middle age. With those guys in the lead, I was thinking it would be funny, but it's really not. In his review of the pilot, Jason mentioned that it was "painting a pretty bleak picture of middle age," although both Jason and Allison have liked it in their reviews. I dunno. It might be a little too depressing for me.

I'm not sure I want to watch guys dealing with real-life stuff like the rest of us -- divorce, illness, family issues and the like. I can just look around me for that. After pondering the question, I decided that I watch TV to escape from the day to day realities of life. A lot of times life, you know, sucks. And it seems to suck especially bad for the three guys on Men of a Certain Age.

I'll watch a few more eps before I throw in the towel (or decide I really like it). What about you? Are you watching and liking Men of a Certain Age?

tropikat

I'm deleting the show. Depressing. Every show I'm holding my breath for what bad is going to happen next.

Don't need that

Bye Bye

July 08 2011 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
frankcortelli1

The show focuses on negative aspects of life. Life is much better than that for many people. For the guy who was being sarcastic about watching a "drama" and expecting something else: "drama" doesn't mean "tragedy", they are two very different concepts. And this show is definitely, absolutely, a tragedy. It's well-done, smart, quality tv, whatever, but it is tragedy. Good luck with their lives to people who say "this is what reality is about" when watching this show.

June 24 2011 at 2:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

I've been watching Men of A Certain Age and enjoy it. It is real, shows what friendship is, has it comic moments , and has real actors. The show gives demonstrates how three grown men communicate. It's refreshing. Finally, a show that is not a reality show and different. I hope people give it a chance because these three guys are guys you like and root for. Bravo, TNT.....

December 22 2009 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

yes, god forbid a show exhibit any form of realism so we have to examine our own pathetic lives. seriously - you're not sure you like the sow because it 'bums you out?' who needs an emotional response not fueled but blood stained hyper vivid stylized cop shows, 'reality' shows far removed from any semblance of reality any of us know, or snark filled sitcoms that eagerly distance themselves from any form of actual human connection.

December 18 2009 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I've always said kdos to nay actor who allows himself to be filmed shirtless. Comedy or classic. So Andre Bruagher gets the nod for showing how he looks and making us forget the suave Frank Pembleton. True life can be revealing, depressing and hopeful all at once.

December 17 2009 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo Anne

What do you people want? sex,nudity,cussing every two seconds? Maybe "Of A Certain Age" has a meaning more
than the title. "I'll give it another chance" PLEEZE why bother,your MIND is made up,Oh another word with more
than one meaning!!!

December 17 2009 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yme Sandelmann

Dear god, I cannot stand people whining about shows being "a downer". Especially since they are a DRAMA! And "Men of Certain Age" is a drama first, comedy second. Do you also watch horror movies and complain that they are kinda gory?!
Besides that I don't even agree. From the first two episodes we see that the lifes of all three men are shitty in some way. But it also shows them stepping up and doing something about it. That may not be laugh out loud funny, but it gives a glimpse of hope. And that, for me, is not depressing...

December 17 2009 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Yme Sandelmann's comment
the dude

well..... really now..... the first show was a downer in a way as it showed you how "down" everyone's lives were in some ways and not just from perception. shows you also that romano was able to sell this with the first episode script on its potential of a character driven show. never would work on a so called major network.

December 17 2009 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pete

I agree in a way. It's happening all around you and you don't need to see it on television where you go for enjoyment. I say it is enjoyment watching and realizing most men do have the same issues I do and I'm not crazy. I loved the episode where Bakula took the guys car. I've been in a few situations myself where I start to react the way I did when I was younger and my wife had to pull me back into reality with her "Act your age" wisdom.

December 17 2009 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
the dude

i watch this show - the first episode to me was kind of a downer, slow, sad in a way. watched the second episode and i find that i enjoyed it quite a bit. the characters are getting filled out. we see some of the personality traits and how they interact with each other, and at least with the romano family, what he is left with and how he is coping. sorry for not remembering the names at this point, the black family has some deep dynamics going, kinda like them. the backula character seems the most stereotyped but a lot of it appears to be a facade he keeps up to keep up the image. i guess i'll keep coming back until either i get sick of it or it gets cancelled. not what i expected but interesting on a different level.

December 17 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Hewitt

I agree that the show is a downer. I have the same problem with it that I had with Party of Five. It is tough to watch the main characters suffer, week after week. While the show may be realistic in many ways, as a fortysomething, I can attest that life really isn't that awful. I have dealt with some of the same problems these guys are dealing with, but there are usually plenty of good things going on as well. I am hoping the show strikes a bit of a balance between the good and the bad as it moves forward.

December 17 2009 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply