September 18, 2014

What's your favorite Christmas special or movie?

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 17th 2009 6:59PM
GrinchI'm the rare type of person whose favorite Christmas movies of all-time also happen to be my favorite movies of all-time period, It's A Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street.

We're in the middle of December now and we're all watching our favorite Christmas movies or animated specials (either on TV or via DVD), so I thought I'd ask which is your favorite. (I know, I didn't include every single Christmas special ever made, but that's why God created the word "other").

What's your favorite Christmas special/movie?
It's A Wonderful Life167 (12.9%)
Miracle on 34th Street72 (5.5%)
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer111 (8.6%)
Santa Claus is Comin' To town16 (1.2%)
A Christmas Story271 (20.9%)
The Year Without A Santa Claus37 (2.9%)
White Christmas71 (5.5%)
A Christmas Carol (any version)90 (6.9%)
Frosty The Snowman11 (0.8%)
How The Grinch Stole Christmas (animated)236 (18.2%)
A Charlie Brown Christmas216 (16.6%)

khamel

this list is missing quite a few new classics. die hard, elf and scrooged to name a few.

December 19 2009 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam

My son and I used to watch "Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas" every Christmas on public TV (before cable). At the time, I was a single divorced mom raising a small son. Times were tough, but we made the best of it. The story was about a widowed otter mom and her son Emmett who did odd jobs so that they could buy each a gift for Christmas and ended up trading their one valuable item to make it possible to enter a contest for $$ to buy the desired gift for each. Neither won the contest, but in the end, the pair enjoyed spending time together, singing, sliding on the frozen river and being close as mother and son. Years later my friend gave me a VHS copy and I then located a copy of the book at a library book sale and these have become some of my most cherished possesions. My son and I still reminence about those times together and how we spent simple ways together during the holiday season. Wouldn't trade those moments for anything. A lucky mom!!

December 19 2009 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alk02g

I answered "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" since that's the only one from that list that I HAVE to watch. But "A Muppet Family Christmas" is the pinnacle for me. I also make sure to get in "Twas the Night Before Christmas" with the clockmaker and Albert the Mouse and the whole heart-warming story where the town worries when Santa won't take their letters.

December 18 2009 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

My favorites are The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant and The Shop Around The Corner. Too bad they are not showing The Bishop's Wife this year.

December 18 2009 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jduens

Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer! I'm Jewish and my sister and I used to watch the claymation Rudolf every Shabbat.

December 18 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curtis

Elf.

December 18 2009 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkcincos

Elf is my fav!

December 18 2009 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wallflower

Elf!

December 18 2009 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

No Star Wars Christmas Special?

December 18 2009 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe in LA

Full-Court Miracle, a Disney Channel Original Movie.

December 18 2009 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply