October 21, 2014

Would you buy someone a Flo TV for Christmas?

by Danny Gallagher, posted Dec 17th 2009 8:03PM
As I ran through my local Best Buy trying to fight my way through the horde of morons like me who waited until the last possible minute to buy presents without having to resort to gasoline gift cards, I came across this strange device: Flo TV.

I call it strange because while a portable TV isn't a new idea, one that gives you deep access to cable and network shows like a TiVo that can fit in your pocket does seem like too much TV for one person.

Don't get me wrong. It's cool that technology has finally allowed such autonomy, so that now even a Sherpa on the top of the Himalayas can catch up on The Hills. But isn't part of the fun of television the anticipation of waiting to see your favorite shows? That rush you get running home from work so you can catch The Colbert Report or Top Gear and bring an official end to a long and hard day.

Is there such a thing as too much access to your favorite shows?

N. Reyes

Well, I tossed my cable subscription out the window since I just moved to a new place. My temporary solution? I recently bought a new phone from AT&T (Samsung Eternity) that has a TV subscription (FloTV) so I'm able to try out this new service. Long story short, I love it! I think I can live with this for now instead of paying Comcast $100 a month. I'm currently paying $9.99 for the TV service on my phone and it's sooo worth it :)

January 06 2010 at 5:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

I bought a FLO TV for myself for Christmas and I absolutely love it. It is one very cool device. Great digital programming that you can watch pretty much anywhere. www.flotv.com

December 27 2009 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomK

I would not buy one of these.

However I do have FLOTV on my phone and LOVE IT. I do not want to upgrade to the DROID right now because I love the TV. I watch it all the time especailly for sports. Earlier this year on the way to Legoland I watched the NCAA hockey final. I watched the EURO 2008 soccer championship all the time while I was out shopping or doign whatever.

December 18 2009 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

"But isn't part of the fun of television the anticipation of waiting to see your favorite shows? That rush you get running home from work so you can catch The Colbert Report or Top Gear and bring an official end to a long and hard day."

Yes, it was.

And still is.

I still watch my favorite TV shows live for one reason. It's the soonest that I can watch them. Why wait? My definition of 'on my schedule' includes live. Unlike a lot of people it seems, I don't let commercials run me off of watching my shows whenever I like; it's simple enough to ignore the 99% that's drek and enjoy the small fraction that are actually well done.

But.

I also record them on my DVR at the same time so that if I decide not to watch them live, I get home late, interruptions, I'm just not in the mood, whatever, I'm covered.

December 18 2009 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

LOL, I was gonna post a reaction very close to the ones already posted. I was wondering if this article was written ten years ago but you just ran across it and decided to post it this year. The way people watch TV has changed dramatically. I don't even have an antenna or cable/satellite anymore. I watch all my TV online on Hulu and the like. I am curious to how you get all the shows on to the FloTV. Sounds like a cool device I will have to look into it.

December 18 2009 at 8:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eileen

Running home from work? What're you, a time traveler from the 1980s? We have TiVo now, remember?

December 17 2009 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KenMo

Have you not heard of DVRs and Time Shifting?
Why watch TV on someone else's schedule?

That's like having someone tell you when you can eat dinner, or when its OK to go to the bathroom (now there's some anticipation).

December 17 2009 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply