November 27, 2014

Will NBC put Jerry Seinfeld behind Conan O'Brien's desk?

by Danny Gallagher, posted Dec 18th 2009 9:02AM
Conan O'Brien, Jerry SeinfeldNBC has made a lot of boneheaded moves when it comes to late night, some that have even the thickest of skulls still scratching their heads over. But this rumor, if indeed true, would have those people scratching so hard, they might actually strike brain.

Some anonymous executive sources have said the network is thinking about dumping Conan O'Brien and putting Jerry Seinfeld in The Tonight Show's host chair.

The anonymous source (whom I always imagine as Hal Holbrook) told PopEater's Rob Shuter that Conan's viewership has dropped a whopping 52 percent and that replacing him with the comedian is one option that's being kicked around the NBC offices.

Take it as a rumor, but is this idea a good one?

Andi

I never watch any late night show but I'd make an exception for Jerry.

January 20 2010 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anon

Conan is as funny as a school boy clown that tries anything and everything like a total fumbling fool to attract attention. If that is called some funny comedy, give me a break. REPLACE him with a totally new face and not with anyone so noted as Seinfeld! For those that think that Jay is now too predictable or old then think again about Seinfeld, he is way too predictable. I'm not a comedian or want to be but I can actually know ahead of time what Seinfeld will say or do to certain situations.

January 12 2010 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jason

replace my favorite host with the least funny comedian ever? i'll stop watching late night shows altogether if this happens.

December 21 2009 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. Taylor

Why do you think that replacing Leno would make Conan's ratings go up. I don't like Conan, don't think he's funny. If Leno was not on, I still wouldn't watch Conan.

December 20 2009 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Seinfeld is not a talk show host.

The problem is NBC is trying to make Conan appeal to Jay's everyman comedy shtick in that slot and it kills a lot of Conan's comedy. Frankly, I'm tired of 'friendly' comedy being on late night TV. Conan's at his best when he doesn't have to have guests like Heidi, Spencer, and the MTV reality flavors of the month that are often the butt of his raunchy yet intelligent jokes. NBC has killed that in the 11:30 slot.

Which is the big problem with networks. They see cable attracting youthful viewers so they decide to go for the older demographic? It's a shortsighted move, especially when traditionally the older set are not staying up to watch Late Night television.

In other words, NBC execs are morons and I hope Comcast comes in and cleans house because as evil as they may be on the distribution end, I can't think of finer examples of turning channels around and letting them do what works best for their particular demos than Versus and G4 (not to mention E! and Style).

December 19 2009 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Justin's comment
GerryofNorVA

More succinctly, "Seinfeld" is a classic show (largely driven by Larry David), but Jerry Seinfeld, alone, as a comic/talk-show-host is a bad dream, you don't want that.

December 20 2009 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I liked Conan's humor a lot more in his old time slot. Don't know exactly what has changed but something has. I can't see Jerry being so funny on a nightly basis, either. I woud love to see Jay AND Conan go back to their old jobs and time slots. I love Jay and loved Conan on his old show. Now I don't waste my time watching either of them.

December 18 2009 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jerry

As much as I am a fan of Seinfeld, I would be SO mad if they got rid of Conan, I havent missed an episode since he took over

December 18 2009 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elina

I think this rumor is completely stupid. Like they'd kick him out after mere months of hosting the Tonight Show! Everybody realizes it takes some time to adjust to the new show... and while the ratings might have gone down, the audience for Conan is different from Jay Leno's audience.

I really think this is nothing but a rumor, and I hope so too because I think Conan is amazing. He's in a whole another level when it comes to hosting a talk show. I'll cry and send NBC a billion hate letters if they get rid of Conan (read: they should start the getting-rid-of with Leno. He's had his days already).

December 18 2009 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenji Meadu

Couldn't imagine Jerry, he seems like a real dick and it really shows when he's not acting.

December 18 2009 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Alan

I like Jerry Seinfeld, but it seems to me that his persona is totally wrong for a late-night talk show. He doesn't like to talk about current events, he wouldn't handle jokes that bomb well (and when you're doing a new monologue every night, that's going to happen no matter how good you are), and I don't see him being very comfortable interviewing people he's not a fan of. Jerry Seinfeld interviewing someone from Twilight or The Hills? I just don't see it.

December 18 2009 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply