October 31, 2014

Remembering Brittany Murphy as King of the Hill's Luanne

by Danny Gallagher, posted Dec 20th 2009 5:11PM
You may have heard that Brittany Murphy died suddenly today at the young age of 32. Some of you may not know how connected she was to TV, considering most of her best-known work was on the big screen. She had a few roles in some short-lived TV series, but she's probably best known to TV fans for her work as Luanne on King of the Hill.

The role always seemed to be a perfect fit for her and it seems in the wake of her tragic passing that to her, the role was more than just a job.

She once told USA Today that the character was a mix of "Juliette Lewis in Kalifornia and Jessica Lange in Blue Skies." She also said that despite Luanne's ditziness and naive ways, she served as a great source of inspiration for her.

"To be similar to Luanne would be such an honor," Murphy said. "She's so pure and lovely, and I would hope in my life that I could be as pure as Luanne is. On a lighter note, I am a complete and utterly frustrated hairdresser. That's a big dream of mine."

The entire King of the Hill cast did an awesome job when the show first hit the airwaves because everyone could identify with the characters. Everyone in my family knew a Hank, a Bobby, a Peggy and a Luanne. Let's just say Luanne was one of my cousins, minus the puppets.

freerhode

brittany is one of my favorite actresses. i will miss her squeeky voice and optimism. she was a bright light on a show i enjoyed w my kids. this is another crocodile hunter blow for our family.

December 21 2009 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TorrentFreak

Brilliant as Luanne.

December 21 2009 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Luanne was one of my favorite characters, not just on King of the Hill, but on all of TV. It was great for an actress with such a busy movie career to also stay committed to being a voice on an animated show for so long. It's bad enough the show was canceled this year, but so much worse not to able to hear Brittany in anything anymore.

December 21 2009 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

So young. So sad. RIP, Brittany.

December 20 2009 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

What?!

December 20 2009 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suzee

i loved her in little black book. She was my top 5 fav actress. :-(

December 20 2009 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debscalper407

Manger Babies!
R.I.P.

December 20 2009 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.

Loved her in Clueless, Freeway, and Spun. RIP.

December 20 2009 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

Damn shame, I enjoyed ever since Almost Home. Her interviews on NY1 where she busted out in song, she had a great voice.

December 20 2009 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply