September 18, 2014

ABC double-dipping Better Off Ted and Scrubs

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 21st 2009 11:30AM
ScrubsWhile it's great that fans of Scrubs will be able to see two episodes of the show each and every week starting January 5, that's actually not a sign that ABC loves the show so much and it gets such great ratings that they want to have it on their schedule as much as possible. They're burning off all of the episodes quickly.

They're doing the same thing with Better Off Ted, which somehow made it to a second season (that's not a comment on the show, I'm talking about how it was a surprise that ABC renewed it). Both shows will have two episodes on Tuesday nights for the next several weeks, and both shows will see their 13 episode seasons end in late January.

Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that the shows won't be back for another season (after all, we all thought Scrubs was gone a couple of seasons ago), but it probably means that the shows won't be back for another season.

Vijay

If BOT is cancelled, we can add that to the list of good shows cancelled the last three years: Arrested Development, Veronica Mars, New Amsterdam, Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles, Pushing Daisies...

December 22 2009 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robin

Argh, I don't even know why I start watching a new show on ABC. They killed Pushing Daisies and now will do the same to Better Off Ted - arguably the best comedy on network right now.

December 22 2009 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

I was very surprised to see Better off Ted appear on Hulu - I thought it was gone, based on past posts I had seen here on TV Squad.

December 22 2009 at 3:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Better off Ted is hilarious. I love that show. The Scrubs spin-off (do not call it Scrubs, because it's not, it's Scrubs - Med School, a spinoff show with wholly new characters, new settings, etc.) is just unwatchable. Clearly Zach Braff is in dire need of money, which is why he signed on to do this along with so many commercials and voiceovers and crap. He must have been invested with Bernie Madoff or something.

December 21 2009 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip Douglas

I thought Zach Braff and Donald Faison were only going to be on the show for two episodes and then be gone? Don't get me wrong, I think they are great, and I am not sure how the show would fair without them. How much longer will they be on the show?

December 21 2009 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chip Douglas's comment
Marcus Gorman

Braff is signed for six, but Faison is still a lead.

December 22 2009 at 2:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ChaoZ

Scrubs deserves to go away, which is a stunning statement from me as I've been a fan since season 2 or so. Sorry Mr. Braff.

As for Better Off Ted, that show CAN'T be that expensive, right? I realize it probably costs more than a multi-camera sitcom, but there's really not much in terms of sets. I love the show, but I guess the corporate beancounters don't see the funny in the show directed at the humours of corporate life. Sad.

December 21 2009 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MikeM

Frankly, Better Off Ted is far better than the lame retread of Scrubs. They would be better off renewing BOT for another season and just replaying Scrubs from season 1. :)

December 21 2009 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

WHAT WHAT WHAAAAAAAT? I HATE double-dipping! It just means the shows I love will be gone forever sooner! I hope not, but that's probably what it means.

I can't believe ABC isn't taking this opportunity to place the wonderful Better Off Ted with its three successful comedies! It would go great smack in the middle of The Middle and Modern Family (if you give The Middle the 8 o'clock), and it would totally boost the ratings! Why can't ABC see this obvious choice here?

December 21 2009 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply