November 23, 2014

Ghost Intervention joins the ranks of paranormal stalkers

by John Scott Lewinski, posted Dec 21st 2009 3:02PM
Ghost Intervention ain't afraid of finding nothing.I confess I've written more than my fair share of posts complaining about the never-ending march of paranormal, ghost busting shows haunting TV these days. You know the shows I refer to -- the "documentaries" promising to prove the existence of ghosts without ever finding anything resembling actual proof.

Every time I've written something bemoaning the arrival of another such show, I think it has to be over soon. There can't be another hour of clods stumbling around in night vision and reacting to sights and sounds the audience doesn't get to experience.

But, they keep coming. They keep finding nothing. But, evidently, people keep watching them. Now, we have Ghost Intervention -- running through December. The 4-part docu-series from TLC "chronicles a case manager and a team of women with psychic abilities as they try to help different families who are struggling with paranormal activity in their homes."

I guess that makes it "The Exorcist meets The View"
-- only The View is infinitely more horrifying than any case of haunting or demonic possession. However you describe it, we're looking at hours of women without proven psychic powers exercising unproven science to deal with unproven phenomena. It's a wonder PBS didn't pick this up for Firing Line.

We're left with one big question. It seems unavoidable that there will be more of these ghost-hunting shows. But, what's left to cover with so many on the air? What gimmick will they turn to next?

Discuss. And, "boo," I guess.

wulfn1

survivor : the haunted ?

December 21 2009 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

I hope HGTV comes up with a ghost-related show soon. My house is full of ectoplasm-stained drywall and I'd really like to know the best technique for repairing or replacing it.

December 21 2009 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

How about a debunking show where a team poses as roommates or a couple, invites one of these ghost hunter teams in and strings them along for a while. Interspersed with segments explaining the bull---t methods the ghost people use and how they can't possibly do what they say they can.

December 21 2009 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
socrates

The could have a ghost rehab show, ghost jobs--what did you do in your life reality show where the fleshies get to reenact and explore the ghost's life and livelihood, or how about to catch a criminal using ghost's as the informants spillin' the beans on who did what to whom back in the day, ghost survivor where the fleshies have to rough it for a month in a haunted house and be attacked or tormented by mean ghost's. Oh my the possibilities are endless

December 21 2009 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JChamberlin

Let's not forget The Haunted, which is Animal Planet's new take on ghosts... pets can see ghosts too, you know.

December 21 2009 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply