October 21, 2014

The new Target Christmas ad is funny, but in an uncomfortable way

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 21st 2009 1:29PM
This new Target Christmas commercial makes me uncomfortable. The people playing the parents are great, but there's something about the mom's smile that makes me think this Christmas Day isn't going to go well at all.

One thing that doesn't quite make sense: this television is kinda big. Why does the husband seem shocked by what it is? Didn't he see the package under the tree beforehand? And if the wife hid it from him until the last minute, she must think she did something wrong too.

sasha

the new target ad where she is only reacting to the flyer is demonic.....take it off

November 21 2011 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

I find her smile truly amazing. Absolutely beautiful

December 29 2009 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Fortunately, I've only seen this one a few times. The one I keep seeing, which is also squarely in the awkward zone, is the jewelry bit.

Couple's out at dinner, she opens package to gush over (really ugly, IMO) necklace but comments that she didn't think they were "there" yet. He says it's okay because it wasn't that expensive, which she seems to accept as an explanation. Close on him with awkward concerned "grin" on his face.

I don't know what the advertising department at Target was thinking this year, but their campaign really kind of missed the mark overall.

December 22 2009 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric H

Why is the husband automatically the bad guy, sound like the wife went out and spent more than they can afford, and if that TV is from target she DEFINITELY over spent on it, sound to me like the wife has messed up big time.

December 22 2009 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

I find this ad really uncomfortable, too, although the "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" line at the end kind of sums up what I suspect will happen to the husband once the kids are in bed or outside playing...

December 21 2009 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shyam Kapur

I enjoyed this post and the discussion. A variety of feedback on this and other Target ads is available in real-time on TipTop http://www.feeltiptop.com/target%20ad/

December 21 2009 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

I still think the one with the little girl's damning confession after opening her present , is the creepiest of all the target christmas commercials.

December 21 2009 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MosquitoControl

I never understood this commercial, either. The first time I saw it I thought the end was chopped off.

It's depressing. The husband is a dick, the woman's final smile is sad and pitiful. Not sure what they're aiming for. I'm certain it's meant to appeal to women, not men, so I'm out of the demographic, but... who really likes this? The last thing I want in a Christmas commercial meant to send me shopping is a scene of light domestic emotional abuse...

December 21 2009 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

Isn't the TV a flat screen? It could have just as easily been a poster/painting or the like all wrapped up, especially if he, the husband, never lifted it or even laid eyes on it prior to Christmas morning.

Also, maybe mom has a job (instead of or in addition to dad's) and used her own money budgeted for Christmas - separate from "the family's money" - to purchase the TV. In which case, dad can't really bitch about it and should just shut his pie-hole about it in front of the kids who obviously feel the poorly veiled tension between mom and dad.

I think Target has sort of missed the mark with all the commercials in this series and I am really tired of hearing that woman singing "Chestnuts roasting over an open fire." Enough already.

December 21 2009 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aultra

I must agree that this is a completely awkward ad and doesn't really help sell anything by making the people watch it uncomfortable in doing so.

December 21 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply