All Jason wants for Festivus
by Jason Hughes, posted Dec 22nd 2009 10:33AM
I am knee deep in the holiday spirit and drunk on power. Only I can reach the top of the tree, so what goes up there is up to me ... so long as my wife approves. With television mostly in reruns, I find myself with extra time in my head, and when I spend time in there I find things. Things like what I want for Festivus!
- MTV and VH1 to play music videos. I'm from the MTV generation, which means I have no problem sitting around watching music videos for hours and hours. I love music. I love videos. The music industry would probably appreciate it, too. I don't like feeling like I need to take a shower while watching any one of their trashy reality shows.
- Lost to blow us all away with a SATISFYING conclusion. No fade to black, no comas, no Bob Newhart waking up next to his wife. Make it work and make it make sense. If you do that, you'll have one of the greatest shows in television history. So, no pressure guys.
- Caprica to be as good as Battlestar Galactica was, or at least close. It doesn't have to be the same, as I know it's not, but it has to keep me on the edge of my seat and leave me contemplating theories and hovering in anticipation before each new installment.
- Somebody to realize what a mistake they've made and bring Reaper back into production before everyone has moved on. If it were to happen, I'd even be willing to root for Tyler Labine's upcoming Sons of Tucson to fail miserably if that would help.
- All network shows to stream on their respective sites, or Hulu or somewhere legally, so I don't have to make tough choices when they all decide to put their best shows on all at the same time.
- The networks to finally embrace a more cable-like model and declare a three season calendar year: Winter, Summer, Fall. No more huge gaps in the middle of a season, and shorter seasons of certain shows to keep them tight and focused.
- NBC to finally pull the plug on The Jay Leno Show and put regular programming on at 10 PM ET again. That way they might have a home for shows like Southland. While I'm at it, I hope Southland smokes Leno in the ratings from its new cable home on TNT just to help drive the point home. Stop being lazy and make TV shows, NBC!
- The networks to not give up on Fridays like they have on Saturdays. In fact, give Saturdays another shot as well. We used to get seven days of competitive programming, and I still believe that if the networks tried, they could succeed on those nights. And now's the time to do it, with more people staying at home and watching television in order to save a buck.
- Most importantly, for you to keep reading and supporting TV Squad. In fact, let's just have TV Squad become the number one site on the web. Why not reach for the stars!