July 25, 2014

Silverman and Martin return to Comedy Central

by Brad Trechak, posted Dec 22nd 2009 6:15PM
Sarah SilvermanComedy Central has announced that The Sarah Silverman Program will begin its third season and Important Things with Demetri Martin will begin its second season this coming February. It looks like Sarah Silverman's show made it despite the budget cuts.

Silverman's show was hilarious in its first season. The second season wasn't quite as good. The entire concept around her character gets grating over time (I find the same is true of her stand-up). The conclusion is that Sarah Silverman is best in small doses. Having a character that is so self-absorbed and unrecognizing of her own mistakes only works for characters like Master Shake. Of course if she actually learned a lesson, then the show would be over.

Having not seen any episodes of Demetri Martin's show, I cannot comment. I did enjoy his appearance on Flight of the Conchords (I still hum "Doggy Bounce" sometimes). How do you feel about the return of these shows?

Steve

I love Sarah's programme! It is great! Just not so good for pathological liars!

December 30 2009 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
josh

Dear Comedy Central,

Please reconsider 1/2 Way Home. Thank you and happy new year.

December 26 2009 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doug e

Comedy Central development execs are leaping morons...and should be promptly fired. They are creatively lazy and do not do the research that their compelling medium deserves. Carlos Mencia...Jeff Dunham...and on and on....is this the best you can find in innovative compelling content!?!?!
Maybe they should spent a teensy bit of development funds on non-traditional breakout formats and performers.
Or fired the current execs, hire younger, cheaper, better informed execs and use the saved money on new forms.

December 26 2009 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Papabryant

When they bring back Mystery Science Theater 3000, let me know....

December 26 2009 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mariusioannesp

I hate Sarah Silverman. I find her crass and disgusting. She doesn't deserve her own show. Demetri Martin on the other hand I have always enjoyed since I first spotted him on The Daily Show. I find his stand up routine funny too and Important Things is just a weekly half-hour dose of that. I feared Important Things would never come back, and I'm glad to be wrong.

December 26 2009 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aniya

The only reason to watch sarah silverman is Brian Posen!! I dont much like her or her character but I love Brian's Character and his mythbusting Boyfriend, they own!

December 26 2009 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gary

any "comedy" that is so harshley critical of God and Jesus as is sarah's is too repulsive for me and many others to watch get the message sarah.it aint funny.ok?

December 26 2009 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gary's comment
mariusioannesp

I agree with you 200% (Matthew 5:41).

December 26 2009 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan Beard

I thought the second season of Sarah Silverman was even funnier than the first! it's the first show I watch when there's a pile of shows on the DVR.. I personally find it wonderful! (just throwing that out there)
oh, and I'm super excited for Important Things too!

December 23 2009 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

They premiere on February 4th in case anyone is wondering.

December 23 2009 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hank

I'm still in love with her.

December 23 2009 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply