April 23, 2014

The real Jersey Shore doesn't like Jersey Shore

by Danny Gallagher, posted Dec 22nd 2009 9:00PM
This just in from TV Squad's Department of the Blatantly Obvious: residents of Jersey's Seaside Heights don't like the Jersey Shore gang.

Some of the town's natives told The Hollywood Reporter that they feel the popular MTV reality show gives their little corner of the universe a very bad image in the eyes of the viewing public.

One woman who described the town as a very quiet and charming place told the publication, "They should call it 'North Jersey Shore.'" So if you're from Seaside Heights, do you agree with her?

PurplePhil

I worked on the Boardwalk in Seaside Heights for 5 summers. There were always lots of parties. I lost my virginity to an older woman from New York who picked me up while I was working on the boards. The partiers from out of town were a lot like the guidos on Jersey Shore. I remember there were 3 levels of society in town...the locals, who stayed away & at home. The workers like me, who came to enjoy the summer & grow up away from their peers...and the vacationers...who came to hang out and drink and screw! Looks like things haven't really changed all that much. I remember making love on the roof of my apartment bldg. while the tourists walked below. I have LOTS of stories I could tel....about the drugs, the orgies, the local scandals and much more!

January 20 2010 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vic

I think that the worst part of the show is the fact that they arent really from NEW JERSEY!!!! I think that they should portray the Jersey Shore with a mix of people from North and South Jersey, A group of my friends and I from North Jersey and South Jersey share a house for the summer down the shore, we know what its like ot sit in traffic on the GSP on a fri or leave late on a sunday night to go back home, we go to seaside everyweekend, TRUE JERSEY SHORE LIVING!

ALSO the "Locals" of south Jersey need to remember that without the North Jersey people coming down there every summer many businesses would not be able to stay in business!

They should do a show about real jersey people! ;)

December 25 2009 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

These people are a embarassment to the Italian American Community. BTW whats with the garage door painted the colors of the Italian flag. As Italian Americans we admit we have white trash in our ranks. They are on that show.

December 23 2009 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
griff

Want to destroy the Jersey Shore? Here's your chance, sorta. http://www.marrybangkill.org

December 23 2009 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJ

I find it funny that people are so angry about this show but Flava Of The Love and all that mess is still on and when people complained folks were saying chill. It's just a show. Stereotypes are fine unless white people are involved.

December 23 2009 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sjackson

I grew up going to Seaside Heights. I never really noticed the "local flavor" until many years later when I was visiting with my then husband and he asked me why all the guys hold on to their crotch while walking and why all the girls have hair like Marge Simpson. I guess when you around it all the time you just don't notice until it is pointed out to you. The Chatterbox Rocks!!!

December 23 2009 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cate

The thing about Jersey Shore is that it doesn't really represent the people that live at the shore year round, but it is pretty typical of the tourists that spend their summers there. Seaside really does get the worst of the BENNYs but like AC said its trashy year round. LBI gets run down with tourists in the summer too but in the off season it's a great place to work, live and hang out.
I just think its a shame that people in other areas of the US already think that the whole of New Jersey is like NORTH Jersey and now this show is perpetuating that stereotype.

December 23 2009 at 6:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zamir

I'm from northern New Jersey and i don't go to seaside heights or sleazesides height as some people call it, for one thing i hate the beach and never go in the summer, but, I've always wonder what people who live year around in the jersey shore actually are like in all my years (which is my entire life so far) I've never meet people who live jersey shore area and how their like and i only the people who travel their in the summer. And another note this show has spawned a lot controversy but it seems that Italian-American groups are the outraged people, but people from jersey or from the shore specifically haven't had their reputation damaged; I think at least; and being from here too i haven't noticed people getting mad and saying their misrepresenting New Jersey, because for one thing most of the cast is from upstate New York, so yeah.

December 23 2009 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

Twenty years ago when my friends and I would go 'down the shore"... we only went to "sleazeside heights" to see all the guidettes in their glory.... nice to know 20 years later, sleazeside still earns its keep in its namesake...

Everyone with class, if I recall, went to Pt. Pleasant if you were a yuppie/preppie....or down to Wildwood or cape May... Sleazeside, well was and apparently still is exactly how the MTV show portrays it...

take it for what its worth

December 22 2009 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I'm a shore local and I would not call Seaside charming any time of the year. And in the summer I doubt its quiet. Its one of the few exceptions of where you will see the so called "guidos" the show follows, but they are only there in the summer. The majority of the Jersey Shore is much nicer than Sleazeside.

December 22 2009 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply