November 27, 2014

All TV listing writers must either be extremely bored, drunk or both

by Danny Gallagher, posted Dec 24th 2009 5:33PM

When I discovered a strange written TV listing in my cable box's menu, I thought I had discovered the rare bit of gold from TV's El Dorado. It turns out there are gold nuggets all over the place.

One of our eagle-eyed readers pointed us towards "WTF Comcast," a collection of similar weird TV listings that sound like they were written by...well, to be honest, me, except cleverer.

Herina Edi

Nice post, thanks for sharing this wonderful and useful information with us.

Green Tea Diet

January 05 2010 at 5:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

Some of the Directv descriptions are artful in the way they describe the movie correctly while still being way off base.

Something like "Scrooged" would be "Man terrorized by phantoms while his family falls apart around him".

December 27 2009 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean Scott

FearNet on Demand on Comcast has summaries like that

December 25 2009 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fullman

Comcast, I believe, uses Tribune as their TV listings service. In many cases, it's the producers/distributors that submit the content to Tribune, who then distributes it to cable providers. So it's not Comcast, or Time Warner or AT&T that writes these.

Just chock it up to cheesy marketing. I believe the After Dark "8 Films to Die For" horrorfest also had quirky summaries, so this is probably straight from After Dark.

December 24 2009 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
treegoat

I have Verizon Fios and their descriptions can be so way off. And some are just plain sarcastic. They should use a new service.

December 24 2009 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

Just an FYI on Mulberry Street, the movie being described. If you like horror movies, especially well-done low budget ones, Mulberry Street is worth a look.

December 24 2009 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply