Top TV Stories of 2009: Adam Lambert vs. Kris Allen

by Jane Boursaw, posted Dec 27th 2009 10:03AM
American Idol: Adam Lambert and Kris AllenEven die-hard viewers of American Idol might have a hard time remembering that Adam Lambert didn't win the competition earlier this year. Especially considering Lambert's high-profile persona lately, starting with his sex-filled American Music Awards performance.

But no, the winner of American Idol was, in fact, Kris Allen, who's seemingly the complete opposite of Lambert. There's no denying they're both great singers, but whereas Lambert is brash, theatrical and loves to knock those high notes out of the stadium, Allen is more low-key, folksy and laid back. The fellow contestants were also roommates at the Idol mansion.

We really didn't see a lot of Allen in the early stages of the competition. Only a few seconds of his first audition were shown, and neither of his Hollywood Week solo performances. However, his group performance, which included fellow finalist Matt Giraud, was shown in its entirety.

My favorite performance of Lambert's was the Gary Jules arrangement of "Mad World." I think everyone who saw that performance that night realized that Lambert was something special, someone who could go from searing-hot vocals on a song like "Whole Lotta Love" to the more contained, emotional lyrics of "Mad World." It was one of those rare instances where Simon Cowell gave a standing ovation.

During the competition, Allen often accompanied himself on various instruments, including acoustic guitar, electric guitar and piano. My favorite performance was his own arrangement of "Ain't No Sunshine." It brought together his amazing voice with an arrangement tailored just for him.

Did the right person win American Idol? Yeah, I think so. Because of his showy, outgoing nature, Lambert was probably better off moving into the future outside of the shadow of American Idol, whereas Allen maybe fared better with the Idol machine backing him.

Listen to Adam Lambert's "Mad World," and Kris Allen's "Ain't No Sunshine."

What do you think? Did the right person win American Idol?

Leah

Lambert has always given me the creeps. His screeching is more than a little bit annoying. It's a shame, the media loves to focus on those who shock. Talent has nothing to do with it. It doesn't take talent to screech into a microphone while simulating sex on stage and then give the audience the middle finger.

I love GOOD music and true talent which does not need disgusting gimmicks. Kris will make his mark in the music industry and appeal tho those who "count," rather than a bunch of middle-aged ladies (Sparkle Cows) who are a throwback to the Claymates, only darker and stranger (if that is even possible.)

December 28 2009 at 7:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

I was posting this in response to something Kerry posted but that was on Page 2 and she may not see it so I am going to post it on this page for her.
******
******
Kerry I hope Adam and Kris are shown all of this that you are writing. I bet you anything that Adam would not be pleased of what you are accusing Kris, His family and any others of doing. You are trying to hurt someone and his family cause you are mad Adam didn't win. That is just cruel. If you want to blame someone blame the lazy Adam fans in California who couldn't get off their butts and vote for him. You see the fans in LA have this tendency not to get behind their home town idols think back to season 5 with Katharine on her trip home for final three. Hardly no one showed up for her in LA and they didn't come out and vote for her either. LA people can be snobs and just don't vote even if they love the person. Also if you want to blame someone blame the idiots that were doing the vote for anybody else than Adam. Those people are jerks and it is not Kris's fault that there were people like that voting for him. Also for the last thing blame American Idol for not going to the voting system like Dancing With the Stars has. This is a better way of voting and it also helps the voter not have to be on the phone 2 to 4 hours voting. See there are plenty of things you can blame but you can't see that you just want to blame Kris and his family for everything. I voted for Kris and Adam all season cause they were my favorites from the start I wanted a freaking tie but I sadly didn't get it. One last thing you calling people that like Kris names is not making you look very good. People can like more than one type of voice. I happened to love both Adam's and Kris's.

ETA: If you are going to write a book on this season then you have to write one for season 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 cause many people said there was questionable things in all seasons!! If you don't do this then people know you are on a which hunt to hurt Kris plain and simple and you do not care at all. As long as you hurt the person and people that Adam has gotten to know and cares about then you are happy.

December 28 2009 at 4:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michelle's comment
Michelle

Replying to my own post to apologize for spelling errors. I noticed I spelled Witch,(when talking about a witch hunt), wrong and I apologize. I wish there was a spell check or edit bar so I could fix that.

December 28 2009 at 4:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I find it funny that nearly everyone who thinks Lambert should've won and lists several conspiracy theories as to why he didn't has multiple spelling errors in their posts, it shows their true intelligence. Bottom line, Kris is more musically inclined and appeals to a broader audience, many people (including myself) found Lambert to be over the top and obnoxious in his performances. And it's certainly a FAR reach to say that Lambert is dominating the charts. As recent as about 30 minutes ago his single sat at #93 on iTunes, Kris' at #30, also Kris is higher on the Hot 100. Honestly, it's been 7 months Glamberts, give it up already.

December 28 2009 at 3:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

loved that Kris won.. he's my favorite... I have love for Adam too, but I just am blown away by Kris! He is so amazing!

December 28 2009 at 2:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I dont think it matters one iota who won Idol. Both artists are super talented, and exceptionally good looking, but neither has found their groove in the music industry against huge long established artists. Not yet! Both are really nice guys, have a lot to learn and a way to go.

December 28 2009 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wicked Glitter

My last comment wasn't posted, so I will try again. I am upset because I think Adam is still being blacklisted. I never hear any of his music on the radio. Now we are being told that his performance on Gridlock for New Years Eve won't be televised. If we are ever going to be able to let the past go, then the present powers that be have to let Adam have his time on air. We want to hear, and see him. Gridlock needs to be televised , and Adam's music needs to be played on the radio. This blacklisting has to end! ShameOnYouABC for blacklisting Adam Lambert! Let Kris have his title without complaints if we can have Adam on more often.

December 28 2009 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris Fan

LeMarie, thanks for the info on Kerry Kolsch. I will Google her myself! I've worked in law firms for years, and there are good & bad lawyers ~ but this one, if she is one, is a joke!

December 27 2009 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shadamholic

I've made this same comment to friends numerous times, as much as I hated the outcome at the 'moment', it didn't take me long to realize it was the best outcome for both. I truly believe that Kris couldn't possibly have competed with the likes of John Mayer, Michael Johns etc. had he not won and had the Idol machine helping him. Such as it is, I do have to agree that the Idol machine is still MAJORLY backing Adam as if he HAD been the winner. In fact all 3, Adam, Kris and Allison signed to 19 are benefiting from the fact that 19 OBVIOUSLY felt that they were all worthy of support.

December 27 2009 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wicked Glitter

I do think that season 8 is over,and I would move on, but it is very upsetting to me that Adam is still being blacklisted in very subltle ways. Shit, it isn't even subtle! The fact that I never hear Adam's music played on the radio pissess me off. The fact that Adam will not be on TV for New Years Eve, pissess me off! I'm sick of the unfairness! That fact that Gridlock won't be televised, pissess me off. Adam was robed of the AI title that rightfully belonged to him, and now his fans are being robbed of seeing him perform om New Years Eve. When I saw Adam in concert it was Adam's concert. The whole place knew who the star was. It was unbelievable.

December 27 2009 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JLM

I don't understand how it happened but I agree it has worked out best for both artists. I really think that Adam has left AI in the dust and needs to keep going away from that program to fully expand his career and potential. It could have been a conspiracy and it could have been hedging bets on how to best move Adam forward. It could have been Disney/fox interferring it could have been many things. In the end, it has worked out except we can't see Adam on the TV on NYE!!! That sucks and has taken ABC off my TV permanently.

December 27 2009 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply