November 25, 2014

MSNBC drops Dr. Nancy daytime show

by Allison Waldman, posted Dec 28th 2009 4:12PM
dr_nancy_snydermanSort of lost in the shuffle of the pre-Christmas news was this item. MSNBC has cancelled the Dr. Nancy show. What? You didn't even know there was a Dr. Nancy show starring NBC medical/health expert Dr. Nancy Snyderman? Don't worry. Most people weren't either. MSNBC plopped Dr. Nancy at 12 noon on June 29 and then did next to nothing to promote the show.

Even if MSNBC had done some publicity, it may not have helped. MSNBC daytime is a major problem for the network. They've been juggling and re-juggling the personalities, but nothing has worked. So while Dylan Ratigan is getting another slot on the channel, Dr. Nancy will return to her work as NBC's chief medical editor doing the NBC News and Today.

Considering the success of The Doctors and Dr. Oz in syndication, Dr. Nancy should have done better than it did. Medical and health programming does have a niche, but I think being in the middle of a politically charged network like MSNBC wasn't the best place for the show. Also, I have to believe that a lot of daytime TV watchers were more inclined to local news at noon or syndicated fare.

MSNBC has been looking like a bunch of idiots with its inability to program for daytime. Maybe they should just stick with the Chris Hanson To Catch A Predator programming. That has never failed to draw ratings, twisted though it may be.

Hollywood

Have they ever thought of having an entertainment show,singing dancing and laughts on that channel.

December 29 2009 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sally65

I like Dr. Nancy but I'm not home during the day and do not "Tivo" or save programs. She's smart and has interesting points of view, but MSNBC is known for its political programming, not consumer news. I enjoy her comments on Morning Joe, but that is just a sound byte. Wish we had a health network but probably no one would watch. Dylan Ratigan has an audience as does Joe and Mika. I watch Morning Joe and love it even when I get annoyed at Joe or Mika. After that I'm a work so I rarely get to my other fave, Chris Matthews, despite the fact he's become a curmudgeon.

December 29 2009 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger Kirchner

I enjoyed Dr. Nancy; her intelligence and forthright style. She aired at 9 am on the West Coast, followed by Andrea Mitchell, then it was downhill with air heads until Tamryn Hall, followed by Chris Mathews, Ed Schultz, etc. Carlos Wilson just disappeared, too. Doesn't MSNBC give a rip about us out here?

December 29 2009 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rudy Chung

I liked Dr Nancy and am surprised that she did not get more time to attract a larger viewership. She did not appear to have an axe to grind but gave it as straight as she saw it - allowing the audience to arrive at their own conclusions. I am sure she will surface again.

December 29 2009 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wolfie

How about the "Aggie"? If he's good enough for a primetime rerun then, he's good enough for a daytime one.

December 29 2009 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juan Numero Uno

Who or what is Dr. Nancy?

December 29 2009 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xbucfan

Never missed it. Never saw it, never missed it. Never even heard of it, never missed it.

December 29 2009 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shelagh wakeford

How about remembering Ed Schultz. He is the highlight of my evening. Says what he thinks and is right to the point.

I have three TV's tuned to MSNBC all day long.

Incidently, I have to pay for three HD boxes, as this is the requirement of Comcast in order to view MSNBC in our area.

December 29 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I'm not surprised. The show topics were over her head. She needed to stick to medical advise on a Dr. to patient basis only.

December 29 2009 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindi O\'Connell

Nobody knows what's on MSNBC. Their prime time shows have fewer viewers than Fox's day time programs.

December 29 2009 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply