September 23, 2014

All My Children's 40th anniversary, a salute to Pine Valley

by Allison Waldman, posted Dec 29th 2009 11:27AM
kelly_ripa_mark_consuelos_amc_abcWhile we've all been struggling through this holiday lull in regular TV programming, soap fans can take solace in the fact that the action is still happening in daytime. No show has more action going for it right now than All My Children as the 40th anniversary approaches.

On January 4, 2010, All My Children will turn 40 years old. In honor of the event, the celebration will be stretched over two days, Monday and Tuesday -- January 4th and 5th -- with former AMC stars Kelly Ripa and husband Mark Consuelos anchoring the festivities.

On Monday, Hayley and Mateo -- Kelly and Mark's characters -- return to Pine Valley with much fanfare. They're there to film an episode of Hayley's TV show, The Wave, because Pine Valley has been named "The Most Congenial Town in America."

The guests who will be returning are great characters from All My Children's past, including Brooke English (Julia Barr), Maria Santos (Eva La Rue), Greg Nelson (Laurence Lau), Nina Cortlandt (Taylor Miller), Palmer Cortlandt (James Mitchell), Lily Montgomery (Leven Rambin), and Bianca Montgomery (Eden Riegel).

In addition to all the old familiar faces coming back on Monday and Tuesday, AMC fans should also be psyched about the developments in the Erica-Ryan romance. Watch for Susan Lucci and Cameron Mathison to get some major screen time during the episodes and that entire week because cougar Erica could be ready to snare her younger man... or will the love story go off the rails with the return of Greenlee, actress Rebecca Budig?

Anyway you slice it, All My Children needs to be watched or DVR'd all next week.

[You can catch All My Children episodes and clips on SlashControl.]

jaswad871

How long have you been a fan of AMC ?? (Just wondering)

January 23 2010 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
melindallas

The anniversary show aired here on the 5th...don't know why

January 17 2010 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JANICE

I thoght the way they did the 40th anniversary show was GREAT!!!!

January 16 2010 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JANICE's comment
just another word

jaswad871 said it all. No mention of tbe cbaracters who started it all which most of you know nothing about

February 16 2010 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gfs1943

All right, today is January 4. Wife and I watched the show today and there was nothing resembling a 40th anniversary show. What gives?

January 04 2010 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gfs1943's comment
melindallas

Wow, it's great to hear from someone who has watched AMC for a very long time, like me. I mention Chuck, or Phil, or Daisy, or Linc and most people have no idea who I am talking about. I began watching on day one, simply because my oldest sister was committed to seeing this show with a wild teenager (Erica), and so my second sister and I were sort of just along for the ride. It's been a great ride!

January 17 2010 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annie

I have watched the show since the beginning. Mom used to fill me in on the happenings when I couldn't watch because of school, etc. {Way back when, before VCR's}

Mom is gone now and I still watch the show.

What I want to know: Why did they decide to move the show to California? Anyone know?

January 02 2010 at 4:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Annie's comment
Elizabeth

They are moving the show to California because it will be cheaper to produce it there.

I cannot stand Kelly Ripa and could never understand why people were so ga-ga over the character of Hayley. From the time she came on in 1990, I wanted her to leave. I found Mateo exceedingly boring, as was his whole family, except for Julia. Whom, of course, the writers from hell killed off.

Killing off Trevor and not bringing back James Kiberd shows how incredibly stupid the powers-that-be are. They never should have killed off Natalie, either. I could go on and on.

I'd much rather see the crowd that came back for Phoebe's funeral- Linc, Chuck, Benny, etc. Those characters, to me, will always be the true cast of the REAL "All My Children", not this fluffed-up crap that's on now.

January 05 2010 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amy

I started watching AMC with my mother and aunts as a young child. Everyone but me is gone now but I now watch it with my own daughter. It has been a significant part of my life and seeing the old characters bring back memories of people that I dearly loved. I am glad that it has stayed around so that I can continue the connection with my child.

January 02 2010 at 2:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ms tryath

Additionally, I love Susan Lucci. She looks spectacular at her age and is a great actress.
Kendall congratulations on your second child.

January 02 2010 at 2:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joann Stiles

i am69 years old and I group up watch ing soaps and I don't know what I would it they warn't on please don't take any off

January 02 2010 at 2:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ms tryath

I started watching AMC in junior high. What a means of good entertainment. High school came around and it was not important then came motherhood. I will say I watched AMC on and off. Yes they have lost some good characters (actors). It will be nice to see Kelly Ripa and her husband back on the show. I will miss Zach. Yes David's character is a bit old. The worst is the move to LA which will hurt the show.

January 02 2010 at 1:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phyllis

I saw the first airing of AMC. It's hard to believe that it has been on tv 40 years. As of late I do have to say that the show has really gone down hill. Some of the things that happen on there are hard to swallow. And I hate that the show is moving to Los Angeles. My favorite on the show was Zach. And because of the move he has oped to stay in New York. And to bring Greenlee back again is just not right. These characters have more lives than a cat. And David Hayword is a nit in the worst way. I can't stand his character. But I am glad to see Walt Willey
(Jack) coming back. And congratulations to Alicia (Kendall)
on the birth of her new baby girl Willow. Now that is something to smile about.

January 01 2010 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply