September 30, 2014

The Boondocks is back for a third season

by Brad Trechak, posted Dec 29th 2009 10:26AM
The BoondocksThe Boondocks will be returning to television for a third season on Adult Swim after a two year hiatus. It was announced by creator Aaron McGruder on his MySpace page.

Nothing official has been announced by Adult Swim yet, so this can only be taken with a grain of salt. On the other hand, the creator of the show could be considered a fairly reliable source. McGruder did mention on Twitter that an airdate was determined but wasn't allowed to say exactly when it was.

If you've never watched The Boondocks, I urge you to try and catch it online. It's funny, but not in an in-your-face sight-gag sort of way. The humor is more intelligent and subtle than anything on Fox's Sunday night lineup. The show is an example of personality-driven humor (in this case of the African-American variety) meeting the anime style of cartoon and is the best example that I know of the merging of East and West animation.

Sherrodzilla

If you have not watched the Boondocks, immediately add season 1 to your Netflix queue. Then by all means avoid season 2.

Aaron McGruder's thinly veiled self hate from season 1 devolved into a full-blown call for self destruction in season 2. The insightfulness and humor that made the first season so funny are gone, replaced by harsh invective and boundary-pushing for the sake of seeing how much the producers can get away with.

The first season of Boondocks was freer and smarter than the strip and slowly won me over. I looked forward to season 2, but after watching it was sorely disappointed in the wasted potential. There are a few funny moments spread throughout the three discs, but they don't make up for the rest of the garbage on display. And the social criticism is all but gone.

The stand-out episode of the season 2 collection is "Invasion of the Katrinians," a well played, funny, accurate appraisal of the fall-out from Hurricane Katrina. In this episode Granddad and the boys take in some extended family from New Orleans, with some inspired voice-casting including Lil' Wayne. This one episode lampoons everything from bleeding heart do-gooders to the misinterpreting media to the so-called "victims" who might not be above a little opportunism in the face of tragedy.

Unfortunately, the rest of the episodes are typified by "The Uncle Ruckus Reality Show," an episode which looks like it actually mirrors the producers' motivations. In it, BET and a stand-in for Reginald Hudlin (President of Entertainment for BET and executive producer of the Boondocks) seek to air a television series so vile and destructive to the African-American image that it actually hastens the destruction of Blacks in America. Sadly, the plot line for this episode doesn't seem to be too far away from the reality of the Boondocks: Season 2.

Also, sadly, I'm sure I will give season 3 a chance. Here's to hoping for the best or at least better than season 2.

March 10 2010 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevin king

After reading this article m very much excited that The Boondocks - Animated Series is back for its third season. Tomorrow I ll share this amazing news with my friends that "The Boondocks" are returning.

February 15 2010 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Pimp Named Slickback

Trust me...I've done the research!

December 29 2009 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom B

Yes! Boondocks is one of my favorites. Good to see its still alive.

December 29 2009 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

I'm excited about this coming back for season 3. I've been watching the old stuff and find it all pretty funny. Not too many people I know find it funny, but then again they don't get it. And I'm not explaining the jokes to them.

December 29 2009 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MoeLarryCurly

reading this made me so excited. i just recently bought season 1 and season 2 on dvd as an xmas gift for myself and now season 3 is in the works!! i LOVE this show! i've told a lot of people about it, but surprisingly only a select few only find it funny...but that probably has something to do with the "subtle and more intelligent" humor of this show. this show is probably the only reason i still turn to cartoon network every once in a while

December 29 2009 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trunks9588

Um....Adult Swim said in bumps a few weeks ago that storyboards were coming in and they would probably start airing in March.......

December 29 2009 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorothy Ellen Whitsell

Very likely Uncle Ruckus will be worshipping at a shrine for Sarah Palin and using a poster of the President for a dart board.

December 29 2009 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
renbrat_2000

Alright!!!!

December 29 2009 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
remizart

Aaron had previously said that a 3rd season was in the works but he said that outsourcing the artwork overseas took alot of time to complete and he was a little burned out and did not want to rush back too soon! As a whole, I love the show and I'm glad to see it finally coming back to light!

December 29 2009 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply