October 22, 2014

Why did Comedy Central cancel The Jeff Dunham Show?

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 29th 2009 11:01AM
Jeff DunhamYou don't usually see the #1 cable debut get canceled in its first season, but that's what has happened to The Jeff Dunham Show.

Comedy Central says that they have decided not to renew the comedy show featuring puppets. The comic will, however, still have a new comedy special on the network sometime next year.

Now, obviously, there are other things going on here that we as viewers will probably never be privy to. But still, when you have a new weekly show (as well as a couple of specials) that do so well in the ratings (even if the audience did drop a bit later in the season), it's odd that you cancel it. I'd love to hear what really happened.

Barbara

Well I guess Achmed could have his Death Day somewhere else on TV.I absolutely Loved The Jeff Dunham Show.My boyfriend is Algerian and he loves him we do the little routine all the time together.I even had it on DVR so I could watch it whenever I'd get back from work.Walter and the recording studio...about it being racist...Bubba J and Walter are just old and stupid respectively I believe its supposed to do what all comedy does make fun out of everybody,when everybodys a target nobody gets singled out.Dave Chappelle c'mon who does he make fun of?...Carlos Mencia ...again more culture/race based comedy.Jeff Foxworthy made a sitcom and jumpstarted movies on it. We all have things in our culture and race that we make fun of and in my opinion proud of who we are.My dad changes the words to songs all day long and I could pull out a whole Un PC routine on him about his lazy American habits.My dad the white guy who sits in a donut shop for one half of the day and spend the other half with chickens, tell me which is funnier. Puppets are the medium...I watched South Park until Chef left.Reno 911 never caught my eye.Actually to think of it,its been years since I've watched anything on Comedy Central worth watching until this.Strangers with Candy,Mystery Science Theatre, and South Park were once my favorite shows.

February 15 2010 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fibrowitch

Dear Bruce,

Number of Senators in the US Senate 100
Country directly north of USA = Canada
Current Vice President = Joe Biden
91 x 2 = 182
First man in space Yuri Gagarin, I did need to look up the proper spelling of his last name. The other answers I knew.
*************

I am a fan of Jeff's standup, and from Boston, about as far from hick as you can get. Jeff's stand up is funny, the puppets are goofy, and can say some very funny stuff. I know they are puppets and Jeff is the one doing all the talking. I also know NPH is openly gay and plays a womanizer on TV.

I watched Jeff's first two shows, Tivoed the next few and skipped the last one. The thing that made Jeff and the puppets funny was the stand up stuff. Watching Peanut ask for donuts and coffee or hit on a blond reality "star" was not funny.

The puppets at the doctor sketches not funny. I would say in each episode about one out of the four sketches was funny. And none of them were as funny as the opening stand up bits.

Not everyone likes the same comedians. I don't find Chappelle or Seinfeld funny, but I don't insult people who do. After all crack heads are sad and need help, and the deal with airline food is that it's made cafeteria style up to six hours before it gets to you.

January 01 2010 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

No big mystery here. His show WAS the highest ever Comedy Central debut but it managed to shed over 75% of that audience in under 2 months (and given the trend would have gone even lower given time).

A Christmas show hosted by Jesus himself would get cancelled for that kind of drop

December 30 2009 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I'll have to admit I've never seen Tosh.0 for more than a few minutes, and it didn't interest me so I never watched it again. South Park is most certainly not a bore - it's the funniest most clever, wittiest cartoon on TV. Although I was a little disappointed with the last season (13). If you're judging south park solely by season 13 then I can understand how someone might call it a bore. But even the worst SP episodes are better than the best Family Guy episodes (and I used to love Family Guy, and I currently do love American Dad, and I can't stand the Cleveland Show - for whatever that's worth).

Kelly: I (and others) never said Dunham's fans were moron hicks. Just morons. I don't see anything particularly "southern" about Jeff Dunham and his stupid puppets. Hicks flock to Larry the Cable Guy and crap like that. No, you're not a redneck for finding Dunham entertaining, you're just a regular idiot. But don't feel bad, there are a lot of you.

The average person is an idiot, and by definition that means 50% of people are even dumber than that. Is it any wonder that Jeff Dunham's first special on Comedy Central got the highest ratings in CC's history? Anyone who doesn't know how many senators are in the senate, who doesn't know what country is directly north of the USA, who doesn't know who the vice president is, who can't tell what 91 X 2 is without using a calculator, who doesn't know who the first man in space was... these are the people who will be drawn to crap like Jeff Dunham like cats to catnip. And there are a LOT of these people.

So again, props to Comedy Central for choosing respect over ratings. They could have gotten respectable ratings in perpetuity with Jeff Dunham, a show which requires no sets, no actors, no writers, and no props aside from a chair and puppets which are already bought and paid for.

Look, it's only a matter of time until 90% of Comedy Central's time is taken up by "Stand-Up Idol" - a show where three or four wisecracking famous comedian "judges" rate people who want to be stand-up comics until an ultimate annual winner is chosen as the year's Stand-Up Idol. The four hours before the Daily Show, four nights a week, will be taken up by this. It's inevitable. The only question is how much longer we have until this inevitable destruction of Comedy Central? In the meantime, it's nice if they'd keep the crap like Dunham off their channel, if for no other reason than the principle of it, to make the transition to 100% reality show programming less jarring.

December 30 2009 at 2:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelly

I *love* Jeff Dunham's specials - and have bought 3-4 of them on DVD for my husband, who also laughed hysterically watching them with my parents. For all the "well his only fans are stupid morons from the hicks," I am about as far from that as you can get - and strongly believe that racism is wrong and would not pre-judge someone based on a stereotype, but also think that we should not be so serious as to be unable to laugh at ourselves and the world around us (as often stereotypes are based on recurring themes that occur in our world - whether good or bad, and Dunham has characters of all races - unlike another shall-remain-unnamed-by-me comedian whose live show is very anti-Caucasian yet little is said against him for fear of insulting the community that he is from (and yes, I've heard people say, "I can't say anything against him, because people will think I'm racist against ---" yet Dunham takes heat for poking fun at many races including his own).

Anyway, that all being said - I got maybe half way through the first episode and turned it off. I tried 10 minutes on two other occassions, and could not handle it any more. The show was boring (often scenes being dragged out needlessly such as the range supervisor spinning Bubba J in circles for several minutes) and just not funny (Achmed planned his own funeral after he was dead). Though the characters were themselves, there was really no social commentary, no witty humor, and often, none of the trademark things that makes each funny.

I thought the show had a lot of potential, but they forgot everything that made Jeff Dunham and the guys in the box a favorite of many.

December 29 2009 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
viewdrix

Ratings dropped off "a little?" In terms of the 18-49 key demographic, it was more than a little. Over half of that record-breaking audience for the premiere disappeared by the second episode, and by the finale, only a quarter of the premiere's audience was still watching. The numbers are clear: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43356

This was a ratings thing, pure and simple (or, at least, a ratings vs. cost issue, as evidenced by Tosh 2.0 getting lower ratings, but only has a guy in a small studio presenting recycled Internet videos).

December 29 2009 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TorrentFreak

Corrections:
Reno 911 had more life in it.
South Park is a bore.
Bruce was spot on.
Tosh.0 could is a riot.
Wayland Flowers and Madame should never be used as an argument in favor of puppet acts.

December 29 2009 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply