August 21, 2014

S#!% just got real in the Time Warner/Fox price fixing fight

by Danny Gallagher, posted Dec 30th 2009 9:02AM
Time Warner price fixingNo, that's not an altered image of a ransom note clipped from a clever New York Times article or a Photoshopped jpeg cooked up by our art department. Truth be told, those guys ate some mystery Chinese take-out in the office fridge and haven't been heard from since.

Time Warner has pulled out all the stops in their ongoing battle with Fox over licensing fees by accusing them of holding their viewers' favorite shows hostage.

They even went so far as to present their customers with a faux ransom note that demands the money or "you'll never see Fox again." Give Time Warner Cable one more day and they'll start mailing their customers severed toes.

Howard

Midnight - Jan 1st. FOX not dropped from TW. Do not know if that means anything, guess only time will tell.

January 01 2010 at 3:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C.A.

Wow, what a misguided attempt to make someone else look like the bad guy. That's laughable.

Anyway, the Dallas/Fort Worth area TWC viewers would be screwed if they like football. Fox carries half of our Cowboys games including the season closer against the Eagles!

December 31 2009 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to C.A.'s comment
Rocketboy_X

And Fox wants you to pay more to get something that they give away for free, and is no added cost to them.

And who's the bad guy?

December 31 2009 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Having been through a couple of these with Dish, I'd have to say it can go either way.

On the one hand, when they yanked Viacom back in '04, it only took about a day to hammer things out. It was the same kind of ugly, too - Viacom ran "Dish is about to yank your channels" banners on all their networks, from Nick to Comedy Central.

On the other hand, when they got in a dispute with Fisher Broadcasting last year, we were without ABC for about a week shy of six months, with that slot taken up by a variety of "Here's why you don't have this channel" loops provided by Dish. That one wasn't settled until just before a service potentially providing missing locals to Dish subscribers was due to start up.

December 30 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deezul

I live 45 miles as the crow flies from the TV stations. An indoor antenna isn't gonna do squat for me. Yes, there are apartment complexes out in the sticks, not just "the big city."

December 30 2009 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne

Dave, thanks for sharing and explaining your experience. I just hope this whole matter gets resolved quickly. It seems everyone has an agenda and 'we the people' always seem to pay the price.

December 30 2009 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne

Dear Kyle......huh......what's an $8 indoor antenna gonna do for me ? My bad, maybe the moon's satellite offers Cablevision or Fios channels.

December 30 2009 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Anne's comment
Dave

Actually I think he was talking about picking up Fox over the air (OTA) using a cheap digital indoor antenna.

Since I have dish without local channels, I use one of these and the reception is outstanding. Mind you, I own my own home in a residential area and don't live in an apartment building, but judging from the snow-free reception I have to think you'd have the same.

He was wrong about the $8 - a cheap-but-good one is more like $20. They require AC power and have about a 8 x 4 x 6 inch footprint. All in all, it's nothing like the (analog) "rabbit ear" antennas of my youth in terms of anything.

Not trying to be rude to you Anne. Truth is, I move *away* from Time-Warner for many reasons, and side with Fox based on what I'm hearing.

December 30 2009 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocketboy_X

If you ask me, Fox should be paying Time Warner to rebroadcast. Who gets the big advantage from the rebroadcasting?

Fox, that's who.

December 31 2009 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lincoln Paradox

Sinclair Broadcasting owns 57 TV stations in the US, reaching 24% of the television-watching public. This corp has had a long battle with Mediacom over retransmission costs for its 22 Fox stations. In 2006, they doubled their fee, raising the cost from 25 cents per subscriber to 50 cents per subscriber. Mediacom tried to negotiate, then bully, then they filed antitrust litigation (which is very ironic if you know anything about Mediacom). In the end, some folks missed the Orange Bowl, or went back to rabbit ears. A deal was made before the FCC got involved.

Now the same thing has started up again, with the commercials sniping back and forth. I've stopped caring, because we switched to DISH. But it isn't hard to see how Sinclair is holding everyone hostage. Crap like this is going to be the end of broadcast TV.

December 30 2009 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne

Dear gonnabechef, I live in an apt. bldg. that doesn't allow antennae on the roof. Why isn't a TV and cable enough ? Dont be such a tool. Not everyone has the means to have every tech. device or service.

December 30 2009 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Anne's comment
Kyle

And yet, everyone has the ability to use an indoor antenna. They cost a whole $8.

December 30 2009 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne

I am a Time Warner customer and I had better not lose any Fox progamming. The way Time Warner makes a ton of money, so can Fox. Why is the consumer always held hostage ?

December 30 2009 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Anne's comment
gonnabechef

Antenna much?

December 30 2009 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocketboy_X

Here's a hint to Fox... if Time Warner stops carrying it, guess who's service I will no longer be consuming?

Hint, it's not Time Warner.

December 30 2009 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply