October 25, 2014

Doctor Who's upcoming regeneration

by Brad Trechak, posted Dec 31st 2009 3:02PM
Doctor WhoBBC News has an article up regarding the upcoming changeover on Doctor Who (which is being broadcast on the BBC on New Year's Day and BBC America the day after), in which David Tennant will (presumably) regenerate into Matt Smith. They ask a few of the participating actors (minus the regeneratees, of course) as well as Russell T. Davies about the importance of regeneration in the series.

Regeneration is a brilliant idea, enabling the program to continue while changing the lead actor. This in turn allowed the program to continue on the air for 26 years before being put on hiatus, then restart a couple of times in the same universe without much fuss. The beautiful thing is that it's built into the character that every actor who plays him can be completely different. It doesn't suffer the limitations of, say, the different actors playing James Bond.

My first Doctor was Colin Baker and I started right after his regeneration from Peter Davison. Contrary to most fans, I enjoyed him in the role. For all you fans reading, which regeneration sticks in your mind?

Ian

There's a nice preview of the new 2010 series online now...

January 01 2010 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

The first regeneration I saw was Tom Baker to Peter Davidson. I'd never heard of regeneration before, and don't think I knew other actors played the Doctor before. One of the biggest WTF moments of my life!

January 01 2010 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Walley

I remember when Tom Baker regenerated into Peter Davidson. I was so into Baker that I abandoned Dr. Who altogether for a while. Luckily, I did manage to catch Davidson and developed a liking for his Doctor right before Colin Baker took over, then I dropped out again! I didn't find Who again until Sylvester McCoy regenerated into Paul McGann in the American Who movie. What a ride! I'll be a bit more patient with Smith.

January 01 2010 at 8:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

My first recollection of a regen was from Tom Baker to Peter Davison. I was SO annoyed at the idea Baker was leaving that I didn't watch Who for a number of years afterward.

I've rather regretted it ever since, which is why I've been advising the "If Tennant's gone, so am I" crowd to reconsider and give Matt Smith a chance.

Oh, and I'm another member of the "Colin Baker got shafted" brigade.

December 31 2009 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arwel

Patrick Troughton was the first Doctor I can really remember, so for me he's the definitive Doctor, with the Ice Warriors, the Krotons, and the Cybermen :) Jon Pertwee was a bit of a shock to me, and I don't think I've ever appreciated his performance as well as he deserves.

December 31 2009 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy Beaumont

I started with John Pertwee, and have watched ever since. As much as I love David Tenant's Dr, I am still the most fond of Tom Baker.

December 31 2009 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judith

I agree with jasonite...Please don't say "contrary to most fans". Here in the USA, Colin Baker is very well loved, both as The Sixth Doctor, and as his own charismatic self.

Although I am very fond of David Tennant, Colin Baker IS the Doctor at our house, "whether you like it or not". In fact, last Thanksgiving, my husband and I drove from Buffalo, NY to Chicago, IL to see him at Chicago TARDIS...with our now-nearly 16 year old son, who is (not coincidentally) named Colin as well.

December 31 2009 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miles

My first Doctor was Jon Pertwee though I must say Tom Baker was my favorite.

December 31 2009 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

My first regeneration was Tom Baker into Peter Davison. I had watched reruns of the previous Doctors so I knew he changed every so often. So it was not much of a shock when Tom Baker's Doctor regenerated. At first I was a little upset and all but I got over it. In time I had come to see the regeneration as an exciting time. I knew we'd be betting a new Doctor which made it exciting. I will miss Tennant's Doctor but I do think its time for a change. I know it will be hard on the new Dr.Who fans.

December 31 2009 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

The first one I saw was Tom Baker to Peter Davison. While Tom Baker is still my favorite, I didn't have any trouble adjusting to the new Doctor since I was a Peter Davison fan already (from All Creatures Great & Small).

I liked Colin Baker much better than the one after him. That is when I stopped watching.

December 31 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply