October 20, 2014

What's your favorite Twilight Zone episode?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jan 1st 2010 3:00PM
The Twilight Zone, Rod SerlingWe're participating in our annual New Year's tradition in this house and watching episodes of The Twilight Zone, one after the other on the Syfy marathon. It's amazing that the series is 50 years old and still offering stories that are relevant in today's world. The genius of Rod Serling.

So I'm contemplating my favorite Twilight Zone episodes, and it's really hard to choose. But if I had to narrow it down to three, I'd probably go with these:

"Time Alone At Last": This is the one where a book lover finds himself joyously alone with books after a nuclear blast. Until ... I keep thinking he'd be able to remedy that situation by trolling through optometry shops -- if he could see well enough to find one, that is.

"Eye of the Beholder":
Donna Douglas (Elly May from The Beverly Hillbillies) is undergoing plastic surgery to fix a horrible face deformity.

"Nightmare at 20,000 Feet": Recovering from a nervous breakdown, William Shatner sees a monster outside the window on the airplane in which he's flying.

Really, though, there are too many great episodes to name just three, including the ones where "It's a cookbook!" ("To Serve Man") and "Next stop, Centerville!" ("Stopover in a Quiet Town") became household phrases.

What are your favorite Twilight Zone episodes?

John F.C. Taylor

Read page one of the comments. No one mentioned the Art Carney as Santa episode. That and how about the Cliff Robertson pioneer episode? Sorry, not into T.Z. enough to remember the episode names.

January 24 2010 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

My favorite and my 8-year-old son's is "To Serve Man." Also, the modern-day Billy is the TSA, you best not piss off the people who run the airports or the airlines or you will be banished to the cornfields AKA the no-fly list.

January 07 2010 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I agree with all of the posters above. My love for "Twilight Zone" knows no bounds.

January 06 2010 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

Better off saying what your least favorite is. . . I'd vote for Five characters in search of an exit

January 04 2010 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ross G

I've always loved "The Midnight Sun." Effective and subtle acting with quite the twist ending.

January 02 2010 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jgreenefields

My favs have always been To Serve Man,Time Enough At Last, Wiloughby?, Markie, The Last Rites of Jeff Myrtlebank,
the one with Anne Francis and the beautiful sharp black and white was amazing.

January 02 2010 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

"A Stop at Willoughby"

Poor guy hates his boss and job and his wife is a real witch. He is on the verge of a nervous breakdown and discovers a town in his mind called Willoughby.

The fictional town is set in the late 19th century and everything is laid back. I would not mind escaping real life and living there.

James Daly is great and this is my favorite episode.

January 02 2010 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
will

The one where the two-bit criminal dies and thinks he's in heaven. Everything he wants, he gets. This soon drives him mad and he realizes where he really is. That blew my 13 year old mind. The ideas behind it are still solid and it is a very entertaining episode. Forget the name.

January 01 2010 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to will's comment
RobynM

That'd be "A Nice Place To Visit", also occasionally known as "The Other Place". Another of my faves, particularly since it has Sebastian Cabot.

January 02 2010 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denyced

So many favorites. That's why I watch all day each New Years. My sister made me watch them when I was a little girl. She was a cruel babysitter. They frightened me. But over the years I've learned to appreciate them a art. Nothing has come close to perfection since then. Outstanding drama, superb acting, excellent storylines. I've taught my friends and children to appreciate the episodes as well. If I had to pick, Living Doll, and Time Enough At Last.

January 01 2010 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BG

My favorites are
"Eye of the Beholder"
"Time Enough at Last"
"The Fever"
"To Serve Man"
"Night Call"
"The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street"
"The Little People"