April 24, 2014

Food Network and HGTV pulled off Cablevision in Northeast

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 2nd 2010 10:31AM
scripps_network_chartRepeat after me, "I want my Food Network, I want my HGTV!" That's what the disgruntled Cablevision subscribers might be shouting soon if Scripps Networks and Cablevision don't reach a deal on fees.

As of 12:01 on New Year's Day, three million TV subscribers in suburban New York, New Jersey and Connecticut were shocked that Food Network and DIY and HGTV and all the Scripps networks were off Cablevision.

I don't know how the corporate folks feel about this kind of negotiation, but as a TV viewer I think it sucks. I used to live in that market and if I was expecting to watch Food Network, I would expect to see it.

I don't want to hear about how my cable operator couldn't work out a deal involving how many cents per household is charged for the networks. I just want my programs. I pay my cable bill so that I can get all those channels.

Scripps seems to have a good fight here; reportedly, they're getting 9 cents per subscriber for Food Network, while HGTV gets 12 cents. That's not a lot of revenue when you consider how much it costs to pay for the star power coming out of Scripps these days, especially Food Network. In the cable industry, these are considered some of the lowest rates out there.

Interestingly, Scripps has gotten its stars involved in the battle. If you're a Cablevision customer you might receive a call from Guy Fieri and Vern Yip asking you to call Cablevision and say, "I want my Food Network! I want my HGTV!" I'm ready to make the call now and I don't even live there anymore.

John F.C. Taylor

Apparently, everyone is blaming the people at Cablevision. I don't. Cablevision did not decide to kill the shows while negotiations were being hrld about increased fees. Scripps yanked them off the system. Maybe Cablevision is everything else people say, but Scripps is to blame for you not being able to see HGTV or Food Network, not Cablevision. In this case, it doesn't really matter to me. I don't watch either channel. I wouldn't mind if the cable company had decided to replace them with National Geographic or even Toon Disney.

January 25 2010 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Constance

I have recently become friendly with someone who works for cablevision. He told me that scripps network had a 10 year contract with cablevision and that scripps is trying to raise their rate 200% for this new contract. That would mean instead of 9 cents for foodnetwork it would be 24 cents and HGTV at 12 cents would be raised to 36 cents. I was also told that when food network signed their celebrities ( example- Rachel Ray, Paula Deen & Alton Brown) they did not expect them to become so well known. So when the celeb contracts were up for renewal they negotiated for larger salries. This has put a financial strain on the network so they need to make back that money some how. At east that is what this cablevision employee has told me. I don't know if all that is true but it seemed like a possibility.

January 09 2010 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

I'm amazed that Scripps thinks we're morons. They alienate their Cablevision viewers by pulling their channels, then use the Cablevision viewers to fight their battle with Cablevision -- and if Cablevision concedes, we, the Cablevision customers, will have succeeded in raising our own cable bills! I, for one, think Scripps should have taken the high road, as Fox did with Time Warner, and left the channels on Cablevision during their negotiations. I'm so annoyed that I no longer give a cr*p about HGTV or the Food Network. Even if they return, I will not watch them. If everyone follows suit, it will ultimately lower their ratings. They have shown absolutely no loyalty to their viewers.

January 09 2010 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VTP

Cablevision subscribers can now let their feelings be known by signing the online Petition available at http://foodnetworkpetition.com or at http://hgtvpetition.com.

January 06 2010 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marianne

I cannot believe they took these two chanels off! These are out "go to" shows in my house - if it is not on by the end of the week...by by Cablevision...what a rip off!

January 04 2010 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

Cablevision just upped the subscriber fee by $5.00. So what is Cablevision yammering about?

January 04 2010 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KS

Perhaps we should address the party that has removed the channels from Cablevision. Scripps blames them for poor negotiating, but bottom line, they are the reason the channels are not available. They could have continued to provide the channels until an agreement was reached. And a 200% increase? Who will wind up picking up the tab for that little increase? Yes, of course, it will be passed on to us. Why do that need that much of an increase? Anyone see how they just purchased Travel Channel for about a 180 million in cash? So they spent all their dollars, and are using strongarm tactics to get more revenue at our expense. And if you want to contact them, all you get is a mailing address or some silly e-card to send to Cablevision. Where are their Corporate e-mail addresses or a phone number to call them? They're the ones who can "flip the switch" and put the channels right back on!

January 04 2010 at 3:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

afalk@cablevision.com
rconnor@cablevision.com
lferrier@cablevision.com

January 03 2010 at 3:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Pete's comment
Shelley B

I feel that we are in a ping pong game and we are the ball! It would be nice if we had a vote as to wether we would want to pay for those shows like HBO or be able to pay for the shows that we want to watch and to create our own scheduled viewing. There is alot of stuff that I never watch. I could lose Nick at Night or some of the other shows I never watch!

January 16 2010 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Har

I am very very HAPPY that Food Network is off the air!

January 02 2010 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply