July 31, 2014

Here's what worries me about Worst Cooks in America

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 3rd 2010 3:00PM
Worst Cooks in AmericaTonight at 10, Food Network's 10,000th food competition show debuts. It's called The Worst Cooks in America, and it's hosted by Anne Burrell and Beau MacMillan. I have a big problem with it, and it's not just that it's the 10,000th food competition show on Food Network (OK, maybe I have two problems with it).

Here's the set-up: ten horrible cooks compete in a ten week "boot camp," and whoever improves the most gets $25,000. That sounds like a lot of fun, right? We all know people who can't cook, and if they're trying to cook something a little bit more complex than canned soup, it could be entertaining.

But here's my question: what's to stop these people from lying?

I mean, couldn't they apply to the show, lying about how bad their cooking skills are, and then "miraculously" get better as the weeks go by and really cook something great in the final episode to win the show?

Maybe I'm just being cynical and maybe they even have some sort of procedure in place to make sure that this doesn't happen. I'll be watching tonight to find out.

Sophia Ayala Gettys

Good point, but I asure you, they did extensive backgroud checks! I can only speak for myself... but I was bad...REALLY bad. Not anymore! Lost almost 40 lbs and pursuing a culinary career!

Go Team Blue!;)
Sophia Ayala Gettys

January 04 2010 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adrian

Food Network has caught liars before. From one of the hosts of "Dinner Impossible" to one of the seasons of "The Next Food Network Star". They will find the liars.

January 03 2010 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pjcrazysmart

Of course people may lie. Most reality shows have liars on them, which is actually part of reality anyway.

This reminds me of when I was in college. I had to take a P.E. class, but I had no athletic inclinations at all. So I signed up for beginning swimming as I could swim pretty well. The only problem was that when the teacher walked in I was down in the deep end and everyone else was shivering in the shallow end.

Liars usually get caught one way or another. It's hard to keep the lies straight. I say the only part of this show to worry about would be if you had to eat the food they cook!

:) Happy New Year!!

January 03 2010 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

You bring up a very valid point - I had never considered the fact that people could easily lie to get on the series.

My biggest problem with the show is Anne Burrell. I always loved her as Mario Batali's sous-chef on 'Iron Chef America', but I hate her show 'Secrets of a Restaurant Chef'.

January 03 2010 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Dave's comment
GL

Completely agree about Burrell.

January 03 2010 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GingerR

You are so right. Anne Burrell and Beau McMillan are the worst host instructors I've seen on TFN. Talking about completely lacking charisma. Anne wears a smirk almost the entire time. And Beau is just plain nasty and mean.

January 04 2010 at 4:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply