April 20, 2014

Star Trek reaches new unexplored universe of merchandising with waffles

by Danny Gallagher, posted Jan 5th 2010 8:00AM
No Star Trek fans, you aren't seeing an accidental divine image of the holy ones in that breakfast carb cake.

Star Trek's never ending cavalcade of memorabilia already knows no limits, but this truly has gone where no ad man has gone before. Eggo released a line of official "limited edition" Star Trek waffles to coincide with the J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movie.

They feature images of the new cast, the Star Trek insignia and even the ol' Enterprise herself in all of its buttery glory. I wonder if they released any of the waffles with any special filling. Biting into a raspberry waffle as a "red shirt" falls to his or her doom would make for a mentally unbalanced breakfast.

Joel

Talk about going where no man has gone before...

January 05 2010 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary

LEGGO MY EGGO!! then beam me up scotty!!!

January 05 2010 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dog Mom

I have to ask the same question what is that on their heads.. Surely it can't be just different coloring.. Don't look like something I would eat that's for sure. I'm a Trekkie from the old school and have lots of stuff but this is strange ..
Dog Mom

January 05 2010 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dog Mom's comment
Alfred Schrader

There's nothing on their heads, the ink ran.
The original Star Trek was shot at Desi-Lu studios which is short for Desi & Lucy of I Love Lucy fame. None of the networks liked the Star Trek pilot saying it was too "cerebral" which is understandable, what with pulsing veins on brainiacs. They finally caved-in. Ratings fizzled after 3 seasons. After DesiLu studios fizzled, Gene went on to work for Paramount. He went on a nation wide tour showing a behind the scenes film to very small groups of college students in gymnasiums.
I was there at the one in Cocoa, Florida. It was free, but today, if you could get a ticket, would be beyond price.
Al-

January 05 2010 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gorns Rule

Hey, these came out months ago, and I haven't seen them since. To preserve the experience, my son took pictures of them on his plate before he poured syrup on them and ate them.

January 05 2010 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gorns Rule's comment
Nancy

I found them (the Star Trek Eggo waffles) at Harris Teeter grocery store today. I bought two boxes, one of which I will eat, the other to save in the freezer. The eggos do appear to be for children though, so I will buy no more.

Nancy

January 05 2010 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

Is Spock wearing a yarmulke and Kirk a kufi?

And a follow-up question: why?

January 05 2010 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Greg's comment
Gorns Rule

No yarmulke, etc. That's just the different hues of hair color to make the image more realistic.

January 05 2010 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

Did you say limited edition Star Trek waffles? I am going to buy several packages and keep them in my freezer forever!

January 05 2010 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Belladonna

Where do I get them? I must have them. This treky must have them!

January 05 2010 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply