September 17, 2014

Artie Lange stabbed himself nine times, say sources

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 7th 2010 11:35AM
Artie LangeFans of Artie Lange (and of Howard Stern's show on SIRIUS radio) have been worried about Lange every since he was rushed to the hospital last weekend. Now we know why he's there and why no explanation was given at first: he tried to commit suicide.

Lange stabbed himself nine times and his mother called 911. He lost a lot of blood but doctors were able to save his life.

For some reason, suicide didn't even cross my mind as a possible reason that he was in the hospital. Not even for a second. I just assumed that he was in there because of drug problems and/or a possible overdose.

Not that his history of drugs isn't a factor here, but I just didn't think that a suicide attempt was the reason. I guess the way Stern was talking on his show earlier this week ("We all have our demons" and "Don't forget how great he is") makes sense now.

He's a funny guy. Besides Stern's show and unpredictable appearances on the late night shows (especially a memorable appearance on Joe Buck Live), Lange was a cast member on such shows as Rescue Me, The Norm Show, and MADTv.

Update: Here's Stern's reaction.

RICHARD

WITHOUT STERN ARTIE LANGE WOULD BE DEAD ALREADY. HE ADMITS THAT TOO. HOWARD WANTS ARTIE SOBER. IF ARTIE DIES ITS BAD FOR RATINGS. ARTIE IS GOOD FOR SHOW BUT NOT DEAD.

January 11 2010 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

I am a fan of Stern and enjoy Artie's input to the point where I don't usually listen to a Stern show without him.

Very saddened by this news but not surprised. Last year he seemed to bring up his other attempted suicide on a regular basis. He was going over details that I remembered him going over before. Almost as if he was trying to get someone to notice that he was focused on it.

January 07 2010 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cgar

I love Artie Lange and hopes he gets the help he needs.

Dave, to say the Stern show was bad for him is idiotic. Artie being in a regular routine and surrounded by (despite what people think) very stable, responsible, and smart people was good for him.

Do you honestly think doing stand up all over the country or movies/tv in LA would be better for him?

January 07 2010 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to cgar's comment
Frankie Crisp

Idiotic? How very Stern-like. The day Artie exploded it was while being goaded by co-workers, especially Howard who hides behind his position and pretends to be blameless. I understand your position but don't agree with it.

January 07 2010 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cgar

he lost his temper and threw a CD case at Teddy. not exactly the huge melt down you're making it out to be.

you are out of your mind to think an argument about money can trigger stabbing yourself. it goes much much deeper than that.

January 07 2010 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave Caolo

This is so unfortunate, and I feel badly for Artie.

I also thing the Stern Show is a bad place for him to be. In '08, he threatened not to return in January '09 and should have gone through with it. Howard and the gang (mostly Howard) treat him as the fat, drug-addled buffoon who can't do anything right and he can't handle that.

I hope Artie gets well and I hope he stays the hell away from the Stern Show from now on.

January 07 2010 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply