August 29, 2014

CBS juggles Monday, Accidentally shelved and Rules returns

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 7th 2010 7:30PM
rules_of_engagement_cbsGood news for Patrick Warburton fans; disappointing news for Jenna Elfman fans. And if you have a deep affection for Jeremy Northam, this should make you happy, too. Confused? Don't be. I'm just laying out the essence of the CBS midseason juggle.

On Mondays, beginning February 1, Accidentally on Purpose will be shelved... but only for a few weeks. Taking the 8:30 Monday slot will be the return of Patrick Warburton, the best thing in Rules of Engagement.

That's not all. On March 31, the 8:30 slot in which Gary Unmarried airs, will be assumed by Accidentally. That's not because Gary's being canceled; it will have completed its season order by then.

Meanwhile, Numb3rs is beginning its slow fade to oblivion (actually, syndication) as of now. It will be replaced on Fridays at 10 p.m. by Miami Medical as of April 2. Miami is the latest from Jerry Bruckheimer and you can expect it to receive "favored nations" treatment from CBS. They love what Jerry does for them -- Amazing Race, CSI, Cold Case, et. al.

While CBS has yet to determine which of the situation comedies are coming back for next season outside of the sure things, like The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men. If Rules of Engagement does markedly better than Accidentally at 8:30, that could spell doom for Jenna's sitcom. I've thought for a while that it's this year's Worst Week, but it does have one ace up its sleeve.

If Billie has her baby in May sweeps, sandwiched between a Monday ratings boon of mother being named (maybe) on How I Met Your Mother, and Charlie getting married on Two and a Half Men, that might give Accidentally a lift. Maybe yes, maybe no.

As for the other shows, even though Gary Unmarried has hardly been a blockbuster on Wednesday, it may get the go-head over The New Adventures of Old Christine for another season. They're about even in ratings.

Walt

I like all of CBS's sitcoms. I would really like to see them all stay. Possibly, expand Wednesday to 2 hours of sitcoms (like Monday), to make room.

As to Charlie getting married; what would they do, change the title to "2.75 Men and One Lady"? Charlie getting married would change, for the worse, the premise of the show. Remember when Rhoda got married, ratings tanked, and they then quickly got her divorced to attempt to save the show?

February 22 2010 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara Ciancarelli

I totally love Rules of Engagement. Just can't wait for the season to begin! Old Christine needs to stop airing. Its getting Old! Accidently on Purpose needs to hang in their with some better writing material! Jennifer Elfman is Great!

February 18 2010 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Accidentally on Purpose, Two and 1/2 men need to go, Accidentally was never funny pure garbarge. Two and 1/2 has turned into old garbarge -- unbearable stinks. CSI is past its time --no longer a fresh concept, very predictable plot line that has become boring, kill them please all of them NY, Vegas and Miami. Old Christine C- quickly falling to a D; Gary cute for about 10 minutes it's ok, but not worth watching every week, Rules of Engagement puleeze, why bring the garbarge back in the house we won't. NCIS tired of looking at Mark Harmon's wig and lipstick what's up with his lips? The only thing in my opinion worth watching on CBS is that is once in a while is Amazing Race and 60 minutes, as long as Lesley Stahl isn't on 60 we'll watch it, she is annoying and past her productive prime. We are turning to paid TV, ABC comedies. And when we have sense we are turning the TV off, most of it is mind rotting.

January 10 2010 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jean Premeau

I think the Big Bang is the Best on TV. Laugh track or not. I think 2 & a half men, will go down hill if he Marries. Rules is a stupid show, Accidentally is so so. Most of the shows has way to much sex now, there is no family show's except Big Bang. Even Christine is getting that way. Her Brother holds the show together. So many show's don't make it anymore.

January 09 2010 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roy

'Accidentally on Purpose' stinks. 'Rules of Engagement' boring. 'Gary Unmarried' also boring. 'Old Christine' ok barely. '2 and 1/2 Men' once good but now not so much. I miss Rose. Charlie doesn't need permanent girlfriend or his brother talking to wooden dummy. Show headed down toilet. Wave bye bye.

January 09 2010 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Christine should have been removed long ago,...CBS has ticked me off anyway with the no brain reality shows, and removing the Witches of Eastwick , we watch Television to have entertainment,..try finding any in the reality shows,..crap.

January 09 2010 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mona19595

I love Rules of Engagement and not sure why they have so few episodes! Accidently on Purpose is stupid and I have tried watching but lose interest quickly. The Big Bang Theory is hysterical! And I for the life of me done't understand how Old Christine has lasted as long as it has.

There's my 2 cents!

January 09 2010 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
morninglory96797@aol.com

Ok, I could understand Old Christine getting shelved, I believe that show has run its course. Cant believe that numbers is on its way out. Oh thats right, isn't this the same network that took off Three Rivers and Moonlight? Two very good shows with followings? Guess I am going to have to switch to USA, since they seem to be the only channel bringing in new and original shows.

January 09 2010 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gjb

Rules of Engagement was/is the funniest show on TV. I wish they would stop taking it off. The whole cast is great and could possible be the next big comedy if the station would just leave it on and let it gather a bigger audience.

January 09 2010 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slowdraw

I think Gary should stay unmarried; Charlie needs Rose, Allen needs to keep his cloths on,his character is getting the wrong lable; Old Christine should be gone; and leave Numbers alone.

January 09 2010 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply