August 29, 2014

Is Leno going back to 11:30?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 7th 2010 4:44PM
LenoEarlier we posted the news that a web site was reporting that The Jay Leno Show was being canceled. Then NBC released a statement saying that Leno and the network were going to work to see if they could fix things. That wasn't exactly a "Leno isn't being canceled" statement, it was more of a "we'll do something" statement. Now TMZ is reporting that NBC has decided that Leno will go back to 11:30 after the Olympics. What isn't decided is if it will be The Tonight Show or some sort of show leading into The Tonight Show.

Of course, this is all from "sources" right now, but TMZ is often on top of these things. If it is true, what does this mean for Conan O'Brien? Either way, it could make for an interesting TCA press tour next week...

Update: Bill Carter with some perspective.

Tool

What a cluster f*ck of a decision. No matter what NBC does now, it is screwed.

There really is no good outcome to this, and just makes the management look like a bunch of amateurs.

January 08 2010 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Whoever makes the most money wins. AS many have alreadfy posted, Conan is more of a "either you like him or you don't" guy while Jay has become visual elevator music with great rapport with guests built up over the years. As soon as the scrarecrow dies on CBS, Conan could go there. I personally do not "get" him and would not care if he were on anywhere. But he needs to be on the East coast at least.

January 07 2010 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Axel Harris

I wonder how the hulu numbers are playing into these decisions. As a college student, I watch all of the shows that I am able to on hulu, since I don't have a television in my dorm. I'm sure many kids do the same thing, considering a computer in college is a necessity and a television is a luxury.

January 07 2010 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

No way Conan goes anywhere and no way Leno gets 11:30 back. Comcast controls NBC now and they covet the 18-34 demo. The last group Leno appeals to is 18-34, which is why his show is getting crushed in that slot.

January 07 2010 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miller980

Believe me, if Conan was beating Letterman, Leno would be out the door. Bottom line, Leno was consistently beating Letterman and now Conan is being beaten not only by Letterman, but by Nightline. People are so quick to lambast Leno because of his lousy ratings, but no one says squat about Conan's.

January 07 2010 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to miller980's comment
RevJonathan

Except that Leno cannbalizes some of Conan's audience too. NBC split thier viewership with a 10:00 show.

January 07 2010 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marcus Gorman

That's because it's unfair to compare a new Tonight Show to the old one. Conan is doing just as well as Leno did when Leno took over from Carson, and this was when MILLIONS MORE viewers were watching network television. NBC would have better Tonight Show ratings had the Jay Leno Show never happened, but nobody at NBC wants to admit that. It's called oversaturation, and Conan, who was promised the show over five years ago, is the victim here.

And so are the viewers.

January 08 2010 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr. Bungle

I actually "started" watching the Tonight show when Conan came on. Jay Leno is boring and all of his bits are ripped off from others. If they really boot Conan I feel bad for everyone involved with that show that uprooted their whole lives in NY to go to LA, just to have it end so quickly.

January 07 2010 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

To be honest, I haven't watched The Tonight Show intentionally since college, roughly 10 years a go. Once in a while if I was completely bored, I might tune in but I never really paid attention.

I refuse to watch Conan's show. His late night stuff was never funny when I was in High School or College and I don't feel like wasting my time with it now.

I may consider tuning in to Leno at 11:30 after the news. I didn't even know he had an earlier show as NBC doesn't air much that I'd watch these days besides the news.

January 07 2010 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJ

why do they keep beating this dead horse. i think conan and fallon are just fine for late night tv. if they want to keep leno around they should give him something else to do and stop wasting theyre 10pm slot.

January 07 2010 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Once a douchebag, always a douchebag.

Hidden in any NBC closets lately, Jay?

January 07 2010 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Troy

If Conan gets fired... then screw Leno and NBC! Leno has continually sabotaged Conan for the past year and apparently won't stop until he gets him off the network. Not to mention the fact that he and the network have squandered away five hours worth of original, scripted, primetime programming.

If this comes to fruition, I'm boycotting NBC. I love NBC's Thursday night comedy block but I'll download them illegally if this happens. Unbelievable.

January 07 2010 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply