October 31, 2014

Jay Leno Show might be moving back to late night (and Conan going to midnight?)

by Danny Gallagher, posted Jan 7th 2010 9:26PM
Jay Leno ShowWell, mark the day and time in your head because one day, your grandkids will be asking what you were doing when you heard The Jay Leno Show was moving back into late night territory.

Just minutes after announcing that Conan O'Brien would not be pushed out to save Jay Leno's show comes word of NBC's new unofficial/official plan for saving their late night lineup.

Bill Carter of the New York Times reports that NBC wants to push Leno back by one hour, taking Leno out of prime time and putting him back in late night to save face with their affiliates. Leno's show would also be a half-hour shorter so O'Brien and Jimmy Fallon will each still have an hour long show.

Leno himself jokes about the day's drama on his show tonight. Watch a preview on the show's website.

madge units

I still look for the day that Jay Leno comes back to his original time slot. If it is popular to hate Leno then it must be popular to enjoy someone as dirty minded as Conan. Leno has had guests of class not to mention the President of the United States. I like him and enjoy his shows Unfortunately his competition are the CSI's and other crime shows which people really favor including me. Please bring him back and put Jimmy Fallon next. Conan belongs late late at night with his weird dog and other stupid things he does thinking it's funny. Thank you.

January 09 2010 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhoMe

So if Leno gets pushed back one hour, when exactly is the local news supposed to run? And how would that save face with the affiliates? This is a total mess.

January 08 2010 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to WhoMe's comment
Marcus Gorman

He would be pushed back to 11:30, so the news would still be on from 11-11:30. What the affiliates want is a 10-o-clock lead-in that people actually watch, and honestly, even a rerun of an NBC drama will do better than Jay's show is currently doing.

I know, these articles keep on saying "pushed an hour back," but (and it depends on how your local affiliates work) it still just means that Leno will start when The Tonight Show starts.

January 08 2010 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

Here's how I see it. People aren't happy with Jay Leno taking five hours of primetime. People aren't happy with Jay Leno replacing Conan. People aren't happy with the prospect of getting rid of Leno (not me).
Here's my solution. give Jay Leno one or two nights a week. That way it's not a ratings disaster, Conan stays where he is, Conan's ratings will likely improve, We'll get three or four more new dramas (not that anyone will watch them). How is that not the solution?

January 08 2010 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

And Conan STILL has Leno as a lead-in. Ugh, poor Conan.

I sure wish we could have seen what Conan could do with the 11:30 slot without having Jay leading up to him.

January 08 2010 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenji Meadu

I know it's popular to hate on Leno, but I just don't find him funny.

January 08 2010 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

So this means another hour for primetime dancing/singing/cooking "reality" crap, right?

How about if NBC just gives up already... this is getting pathetic.

They should sell their one good show, Chuck, to ABC or CBS (not Fox because Fox will cancel it just like NBC is going to). Then everyone at NBC should dress up in white togas, mix up some cyanide tablets in a bucket full of grape cool-aide (or go retro 90's and use Cristal Champagne), and then drink said lethal beverage and quickly lie down on the top floor of 30 Rockefeller Plaza, side by side.

It's the right thing to do, and NBC knows it. Get it over with already, for you, for your families, for your dignity, for your honor, and for the quality of TV everywhere.

And take Jay Leno - please. Force the "NBC heavenly brew" down his throat, even if it takes 4 or 5 NBC Pages to hold down his huge chin. Surely they can get the cyanide from GE for pennies on the dollar.

January 08 2010 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

No matter where Leno moves, I won't watch. I refused to watch him at 10, and I refuse to watch him at 11. He's the least funny part of their 6 hour block of talk shows. NBC is just a mess all around.

Their best option would be to cancel Leno at 10pm and then pretend the whole thing never happened.

January 08 2010 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nick's comment
Christopher

I'm with ya on this one.

January 08 2010 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adrian

To antibeliever:

Of course there are pilots, but there is nothing ready for 10PM right now, no new series, and not enough time to pick up new series to air in 2 months. Perhaps NBC will fill the time with reruns of current or previous series, but I think bumping news up an hour, just for the rest of the current TV season, would be best with the current circumstances. There are tons of people who would want to watch news at 10. Get the last news briefs before they are off to bed.

January 07 2010 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adrian

I think NBC is doing the rescheduling wrong. Their current plan leaves the entire 10PM hour open without original programing. If I were in charge (I would cancel Leno, but lets pretend thats not an option), I would let the affiliates get the entire 10PM hour for local news and programing, put Leno at 11PM, and leave the other shows the same.

January 07 2010 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Adrian's comment
Actor n LA

Uh..no.

Who needs to see more fvcking news at 10 for??? Stupid idea.

Also, you are wrong about no original programming coming for 10 o'clock because there are pilots of drama and comedy that's been approve. Someone is always talking about something that don't have a clue about.

I think it sucks for Conan. He'll never get that 11:30 slot now unless he moves to another network.

January 07 2010 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edgore

Well, I can say for sure what I *wasn't* doing...watching the Jay Leno Show...

January 07 2010 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply