December 21, 2014

Was Frasier really better than Cheers?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 8th 2010 5:01PM
FrasierOne of the great topics of TV discussion is the "which spinoffs are better than the original shows?" discussion. Are there actually TV show spinoffs that are better than the shows that spawned them?

Woman's Day named their ten picks. I agree that Knot's Landing is better than Dallas and NCIS is probably better than JAG. Not sure if I agree with Family Matters being a better show than Perfect Strangers. Frasier better than Cheers? Hmm, probably not. Also: is Family Feud really a spinoff of Match Game just because both starred Richard Dawson? I guess it could be, I've just never heard that piece of information before.

I'd pick The Andy Griffith Show (from The Danny Thomas Show). Of course, we could talk about this endlessly (though not as endlessly as we could talk about spinoffs that are worse than the show that spawned them). What are your picks?

[via Pop Candy]

alexandria

Frasier and Cheers were really different shows. Fasier had more drama, as Cheers had very little. A little better character development on Frasier, too. Cheers was probably a little funnier, but the overall writing on Frasier was better. The acting, too. Lastly, Kelsey Grammer was a standout on both shows.

July 01 2011 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sashan

boston legal as a would be my definite favorite as a spin off from the practise...it's really a matter of opinion which is better I guess but for me they're worlds apart...

January 27 2010 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

After I had my baby and was on maternity leave nary a day went by that I didn't watch a Frasier rerun. That show was fantastic and every episode makes me laugh, and there have been a few that have made me cry too. (when Niles finally confesses his love to Daphne)
I never found Cheers very funny and Shelly Long and Kirsty Alley were just annoying.

January 09 2010 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Frasier was definitely better than Cheers. Cheers had some good years but was too uniform; I found the bar set a bit boring after a while. Frasier was witty, hilarious and every episode was a delight to watch.

January 09 2010 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eve

Nothing is funnier than "Frasier." Cheers, in spite of the name, was depressing.

January 09 2010 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Hands down, Green Acres.

Not sure if the original was Petticoat Junction or The Beverly Hillbillies. I think it was the former - in which case there were two spinoff shows that easily outdid the former.

January 09 2010 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Loved both Cheers and Frasier and faithfully watched both. Being a Bostonian I can tell you that even after all these years the Bull & Finch Pub, the exterior of which was used for the Cheers bar, is probably still close to the top of attractions people want to visit. Cheers was an every man kind of comedy. You always pulled for the underdog - speaking of which my favorite Norm entrance line of all time was "it's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear." My favorite will-they-won't-they relationship of all time was Sam and Diane and as inevitably happens the show lost something after Shelley Long's departure.

On the Frasier side, we saw the moderately privileged and got to laugh at all their insecurities and foibles. The writers ran farce so well - coming in and out of doors with many mistaken identities - they made it an art form. If you haven't seen it, the first I think it's 7 minutes of the Valentine's Day episode when Niles decides to iron his pants, cuts his hand, faints from the blood, and sets Frasier's coach on fire is probably David Hyde Pierce's finest comedic scene ever. And I found the worship from afar nature of Nile's love for Daphne to be very compelling.

So toss a coin, both great in their own ways.

January 09 2010 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

The Bionic Woman was better than The Six Million Dollar Man.

January 09 2010 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Mettlemod forgot to list Phyllis as one of the spin-offs to The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

January 08 2010 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miller980

I hated Cheers for one reason - Carla. She was the most obnoxious, repulsive, unfunny character ever found on a sitcom. Why anyone would go to that bar knowing they'd have to put up with her was beyond me. As for me, I bowed out after season one.

January 08 2010 at 10:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply