November 23, 2014

Law & Order + Los Angeles = Dragnet?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 11th 2010 5:02PM
Law & OrderThere's good and bad news coming from NBC's decision to cancel the 10PM Jay Leno Show. It's going to free up five hours during the week for more scripted shows. That's the good news. The bad news? One of those hours might be filled with yet another Law & Order spinoff.

Yup, the network wants a Los Angeles-based Law & Order from Dick Wolf to add to the franchise. They're calling the new show LOLA, which is probably what we're all going to have to get used to typing since I'm sure this show will be given the green light and we'll be writing about it in the next year or two. Of course, a Law & Order set in Los Angeles sounds a lot like Dragnet. And hey, wasn't Southland set in L.A.?

Soon, all that will be on TV will be different Law and Order, CSI, and NCIS spinoffs and nothing else. Oh and reality show. Lots of reality shows.

Mary

I agree regarding L & O SUV....Great show and cool stars...all of them. However, the original L & O now totally stinks due to the "stars" of the show. Can't stand that cocky, opinionated, arrogant woman in charge.
Haven't seen that since Jerry Orbach died. Love Criminal Intent, too and NCIS, my fav!! (CBS)
I do like the suggestions of Burn Notice on NBC and also PSYCH> Now those 2 guys are worth watching....so funny! Much better than the copycat - The Mentalist!
Just my opinion!

January 15 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lawl

Warning: The people watching this show are probably in their 30's or higher, have no life, and still tell stories about how electricity was created.

January 15 2010 at 2:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shaunw1987

they should just run Law & Order: UK, its an already produced show, they just need to purchase the rights to air

January 15 2010 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIKE ZVIRBLIS

WE NEED A NEW VERSION OF ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS!

January 14 2010 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth J

I remember thinking cynically as soon as I heard of the Leno cancellation, "Oh, goodie, more Dick Wolf." My vote for post-LOLA - "Law and Order: SVU" in which intrepid detectives solve (wait for it) ... high-profile car thefts.

January 14 2010 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
belvis55

i"d like to some shows without murder,drugs,and sex.a family show like family matters,Alice so on.

January 14 2010 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jesse R. Alonzo

I LOVE IT! Law & Order. It's a must.

January 14 2010 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
evesin

With the cast changes they're making in Criminal Intent and Jeff Goldblum being the only cast member remaining,
it leaves my watching CI in doubt.

Dick Wolf has turned the corner to left wing politics and has turned Jack McCoys' character into someone I have learned to thouroughly dislike. Wolf's politics are NOW the primary part of the script, not the storyline.

I have been a diehard Law and Order fan for years, thanks to my son-in-law, and watch on all the various channels at all the different timeslots and have seen every episode numerous times but keep coming back for more. I would love a "LOLA" but with Wolf's recent bent for 110% Liberalism, I'm not sure if I can take more of his subliminal and not so subliminal messages.

January 14 2010 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lavone

Law and Order shows are my favorite so one more would be fine with me. A variety of good dramas is always a good choice. Not into talk show, reality, and some of the trashy comedys show. Good Luck

January 14 2010 at 7:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

I always wondered why they never made a L & O in Ca, either L.A. or S.F. But I think they should buy the rights to "Monk", show old episodes and let their writers go to town with new episodes. I miss Monk. I rarely watch USA anymore with Monk canceled, and their L & O SVU reruns have been re-run too much I'm sick of them. I'd go for a CA L & O.

January 14 2010 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Katie's comment
rebalol

Monk was not cancelled. Tony Shaloub quit. There is no Monk without him.

Other people have mentioned Burn Notice and how NBC would probably kill it. Well, they already control USA Network, the station it's on, so if they want to kill it, they will kill it where it is.

January 14 2010 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply