September 23, 2014

Sci-fi comedy cult classic Red Dwarf lands at iTunes

by John Scott Lewinski, posted Jan 12th 2010 6:00PM
Viewers have a chance to ctach up on Red Dwarf on iTunes.While American TV viewers are aware of major British TV imports like Doctor Who, Top Gear or Monty Python, it's uncertain how well the sci-fi/comedy cult classic Red Dwarf made the overseas jump. But, you have a chance to sample the funny adventure series at the iTunes Store.

The show features a blue collar loser trapped aboard a massive ship -- lost in space with an android, an uppity hologram and other assorted defective folks.

It ran for eight series on BBC2 between 1988 and 1999 before returning for a one-off Easter special in 2009 (Red Dwarf: Back to Earth).

The show ran on PBS affiliates and briefly on BBC America. Now, all eight seasons are available on iTunes. If you dig The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Blake's 7 and The Mighty Boosh, give Red Dwarf a try and see if its quirky sci-fi sitcom style stick with you.

Sofia

YES!! I just became obsessed somehow, and this was totally the news I was dying to see. Heehee! I won't buy it, though. I think I'll stick to YouTube.... Until I have favorites! Oh, yes, here I am in the US. Hallo! I don't know anyone who knows anything about "Red Dwarf" here, though.. I probably just don't know the right people. (Life is tough in California when you're a British sci-fi fanatic at age fourteen.) (Meaning I am a fanatic of British sci-fi, I am not from anywhere near Europe!)

January 14 2010 at 1:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

It "took" well enough that there're RD conventions in the US, not to mention two failed attempts at a US version. (Both can be found on YouTube if you want to see the awful.)

Word from Rob Llewellyn is that Dave has commissioned Series 10, to be filming this year.

January 13 2010 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

Red Dwarf was one of the best shows on TV. Took a sort of comical look at the whole lost in space idea and it was very witty and smart.

Quite nerdy though so you have to be a bit of a nerd to get a kick out of it. Considering a lot of whats on TV isn't very good its worth taking a look at.

January 13 2010 at 4:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Sparks

for best results, watch the episodes in order and do NOT insist on STAR TREK like continuity. Just enjoy the ride.
And I leave you with these lines from the closing theme:
"I'ts cold outside,
There's no kind of atmosphere,
I'm all alone,
More or less.
Let me fly Far away from here,
Fun, fun, fun In the sun, sun, sun.

I want to lie,
Shipwrecked and comotoase,
Drinking fresh Mango juice,
Goldfish scones, Nibbling at my toes,
Fun, fun, fun, In the sun, sun, sun,
Fun, fun, fun, In the sun, sun, sun. "

January 12 2010 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

Even better. All 8 seasons are available via Netflix streaming.

January 12 2010 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply