Review: Better Off Ted - The Long and Winding High Road
by Mike Moody, posted Jan 13th 2010 12:02PM
(S02E09) Another solid episode from one of the funniest shows on TV. "The Long and Winding High Road" was a great companion piece to the brilliant 8 p.m. ep. I didn't think anything could top getting "Phil-a-busted," but I actually found myself laughing more during this episode than I did while watching "The Impertence Of Communicationizing."
Again, Ted's storyline kinda went nowhere, but we still got the usual stream of non-stop jokes and clever callbacks. We learned that Ted is such a stand-up guy that he opts to take the high road in any situation, even when his office rival is trying to undermine his latest project.
The rest of the crew prefers the low road, especially when it comes to going head-to-head with the company. Phil and Lem were so terrified about owning up to their little mishap that they almost manipulated a co-worker into prostituting herself. What was their excuse? The high road is too high; they might fall off.
It seemed like Linda and Veronica were scheming against Pete Gilroy just for the fun of it. I loved watching these two bond after Veronica manipulated "She-Ghandi" Linda into unleashing her bad side.
It's strange that Veronica couldn't land a joke during the pitch meeting mockfest. But I guess it makes sense. She's just too disconnected to know what normal people find funny.
We finally got an explanation for why Ted keeps Rose in the company day care – they don't exploit the kids for cheap labor anymore. This development made me wonder if this ep was aired out of order, since Rose has been going to Veridian day care without an explanation for a while now.
And what about that Mirror Universe Veronica? She was even stranger than the idea of a piñata stuffed with science.
There are only two more episodes left this season. Let's hope the flying diaper and the anti-China jokes make comebacks before the end.
- Now every child can have hours of repulsive fun!
- Every time you smoke a cigarette, Santa Claus kills an elf
- Imagine soldiers hovering over a magnetized battlefield. The Chinese won't know what hit 'em ... Come on, we all know that war is coming.
- I'm no lady pope. I once slept with my cousin's husband.
- Don't ever do that either, or the tooth fairy will put other peoples teeth in your mouth.
- Hey Pete, is it true that in space no one can hear you poop?
- The high road leads to pansy town.
- You guys have more brains than a zombie Thanksgiving.
- I want to bury his diaper and salt the earth beneath it so no new product will ever grow there.
- Right and wrong. It means something. We just don't know what.
- It looks dangerous, like it could kill a Jonas brother.