July 30, 2014

Happy Birthday, Andy Rooney!

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 14th 2010 7:02PM
Andy Rooney is one of my favorite writers and one of my favorite people in general. He turns 91 today, and he's still going to work and writing and doing his weekly essays for 60 Minutes. His work there is still my favorite part of the show, but to get an even better sense of the man you should read his books.

Here are a few samples of his work on 60 Minutes over the years. Happy Birthday, Mr. Rooney.

On New Year's Eve:

Andy on computers:

On money:

On summer:

On food labels:

On modern art:

On kitchen tools:

Mae pfeiffer

Congratulations to you Mr. Rooney.....you are on the ball......a realist if ever there was one.....you call the shots......as they are....God bless you sir...I applaud you.

March 23 2010 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

So many make fun of Andy that it is refreshing to read an article that applauds his wit and longevity. We should all be so blessed to be doing what we love to do at 91. A million years ago I was in a public speaking course and had to quickly come up with a short extemporaneous speech. I did 'a few minutes with...' and talked about protractors - what are they, who really uses them anyway. It was my homage to Andy and I thank him for being the source of that inspiration. It went over well and I remember it even after all these years.

January 15 2010 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jackie Butler

Wow he sure doesn't look or act like I would think one would at 91! Happy Birthday, Andy Rooney! I hope you make it to at least 100! Thanks for your entertaining take on tihngs and many points well made!

January 14 2010 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jackie Butler's comment
JimColucci

Anyone who can, at age 91, still be doing what he loves without missing a beat, and bringing an important voice to the world, is truly blessed. Happy Birthday, Mr. Rooney!

January 14 2010 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ManekiNeko

Yeah, I would have guessed he was a hundred and thirty six.

January 15 2010 at 4:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply