August 1, 2014

Michael C. Hall of Dexter stricken with cancer

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 14th 2010 9:00AM
dexter_michael_c_hallMichael C. Hall is 38 years old. He's at the top of his profession. His role as Dexter Morgan has brought him acclaim, awards and fame. Now, out of nowhere, Dexter star Michael C. Hall has cancer. He revealed that he's been treated for Hodgkin's lymphoma, a treatable form of cancer. Thanks to the team of doctors in Los Angeles, Hall said that he is in remission and hopes to stay there.

This weekend at the Golden Globes, Hall will be there with his new wife, co-star Jennifer Carpenter. He's nominated for Dexter. If he wins -- and he's done amazing work on the show -- you can expect Hollywood to cheer for him. It will have double meaning.

Cancer has already taken so many people, famous actors and friends and family. The deaths of Patrick Swayze and Ted Kennedy were vivid reminders that even the best doctors and prayers and positive thoughts cannot kill cancer. The other day, when I wrote about the new Laura Linney show on Showtime, The Big C, I wanted to see cancer depicted the way it really is. Maybe they should ask Michael C. Hall to consult.

As I said, Hall's cancer is a very treatable form of the disease. He probably won't have to change the Dexter shooting schedule. He may not look any different over time. It would be a real shame if Dexter has to end because of his condition, but hopefully, it won't come to that. There is no Dexter without Michael C. Hall.

Joyce N.

Hope the remission becomes permanent. Great show, wonderful actor.

January 14 2010 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon thomas

Best Show on TV

January 14 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jon thomas's comment
Nissa

Seriously? That's all you have to say about a post like this?

Regarding the news - I'm deeply sad to hear this but I'm also really hopeful because of the announced remission. I can understand that they didn't want to disclose his condition while he was still being treated. It also explains a lot about his absence from interviews lately: almost everybody talked about the Dexter finale but Michael C. Hall.

January 14 2010 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MikeM

diaf, anglefan2009

January 14 2010 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I forget my Curb Your Enthusiasm, but is that the "good" type of lymphoma? Hodginks, non-Hodgkins... I always forget. One is much more deadly than the other.

Regardless, I hope people who spam the comment sections on websites like this get struck with the most serious form of cancer known to man, suffer a prolonged illness, and die a horrible, miserable, painful death after unbearable agony.

January 14 2010 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply