November 23, 2014

New Tonight Show deal for Leno?

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 14th 2010 5:47PM
Jay LenoAnd the hits in the new late-night war keep on coming:

(UPDATE: TV Guide Magazine says this deal is confirmed.)

TMZ is reporting that NBC signed Jay Leno to a contract to host The Tonight Show from 11:35 PM - 12:35 AM. Of course, TMZ being TMZ, this might just be a rumor.

However, given the fact that -- if Nikki Finke is to be believed -- that Jeff Zucker and the execs at NBC are trying to take a hard line with Conan, and Bill Simmons is saying that Conan's version of Tonight will end next Friday, the pieces of this puzzle might be falling into place.

I don't think we need to go over all the bloody details again, but we all know that Conan is getting the shaft here. Even if you weren't a fan of Conan's Tonight (Conan fan Bryan Curtis of The Daily Beast did a great piece today on why the show just isn't working), the guy doesn't deserve to get jerked around like this.

Now, here's the question: Did Jay get what he ultimately wanted, which was to never leave 11:35?

chrissthomas

I have started a cause of facebook to boycott NBC during sweeps. If we can get enough people to stop watching and it effects their ratings then maybe they will realize pushing Conan out was a bad move. If you are on facebook go to causes and search "Boytcott NBC for Sweeps" join and then invite all your friends to join.

January 17 2010 at 7:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cugina

This is all so sad. There are no winners here. Although I never 'got' Conan's humor, I think he's a good guy. I have been a Tonight Show fan since as far back as Jack Paar!, NBC has shown that it has no integrity whatsoever. Jay was told years ago that they were not resigning him because they wanted Conan to attract a younger audience. Jay never retired. period. This prime time thing just didn't work, and neither Jay nor Conan were doing well in the ratings. Poor timing, poor logistics.
Post of these posts are so below the belt, untrue and vicious that I am more concerned about the level of hatred and anger than I am about what is happening to either Conan or Jay. They both will be ok, although I feel the damage Jay has sustained is particularly sad. And to have all of these other so called comics/friends?? chiming in shows the level of unprofessionalism they possess. Talk about self serving! They want to bury Jay even more than Conan does. I have been reading the posts since this happened and there were so many more Jay supporters until Conan decided to leave NBC (a very wise move) Now that he is the underdog, everyone is suddenly a Conan fan. I think both Jay and Conan are good guys..loyal to their wives (what a unique idea!) decent human beings. I prefer Jay's humor but that is my freedom of choice. And for those of you who want Johnny back...sadly, he's DEAD. I loved Johnny but I remember plenty of bad press about him and his numerous personal activities, how badly he treated a guest if he didn't like them, how he never spoke to Joan Rivers again even when her husband committed suicide....People, NO ONE IS PERFECT. I can't understand how some of you can be so personally vicious and cruel when you don't even know all the facts nor do you know these people personally. NBC is the villain here, not Jay Leno. As for Jimmy Kimmel..don't know anything about him as I have never watched his show, and after the 10 at 10 thing last night, I certainly never will. His impersonation of Jay was very personal and cruel, just to get viewers to watch HIM, but the 10 and 10 was like standing by and watching a street fight. It was beyond unprofessional. He was extremely mean-spirited.
NBC used to be a great network with some of the best comedy and drama I've ever watched. Aside from Jay there isn't a show I watch on their network. And now, between the so-called comics and all the vicious 'fans', I don't see how Jay stands a chance if he continues with NBC. Conan will be fine as he has been uplifted to the position of underdog. As sad as it is for me, and all Leno fans (and believe me, there are plenty) I think it would be in his best interest if he were to leave the snakes at NBC and go elsewhere. Let NBC and its true peacock colors be shown as they truly are....I wish both Conan and Jay the best of luck. This truly has been a sad and unfortunate situation. As for the rest of you late night hosts (except for Jimmy Fallon who has been the only one to rise above all of it and only speak well of both parties...I TRULY RESPECT THAT JIMMY) quit trying to get viewers by locking and reloading every opportunity you have...and Rosie O'Donnell...what do YOU have to do with any of this? You are the harshest big mouth who is always at the center of any controversy. You of all people should know how it feels to have people hate you.
I will be watching Lifetime or TVLand or anything where I can go to sleep at night without feeling sorry for someone.
Blessings to both Jay and Conan

January 15 2010 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Been a while since I read the Late Shift (read the book, it's better than the movie), but all this doesn't surprise me. Leno and his former agent practically harassed Johnny Carson into retiring. Then Leno played snuck around NBC to get the inside dope on what the network's plans were for the Tonight Show. The Tonight Show just hasn't been the same since Carson retired. Conan should have been given more of a chance to make it his own. Leno may be good with the jokes, but once this happens, I think I'm through with the Tonight Show until Jay does finally retire.

January 15 2010 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnny

"I definitely think we should all boycott Leno, I never saw why people found him funny in the first place."

I think that's been going on since mid-September. Hey-yo!

On one of the Leno posts a few months ago, I predicted this exact scenario only I thought it would take longer. The only positive I can see here is that Leno's nice guy schtick has been exposed for the complete fraud that it is.

January 14 2010 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JAMES DAVID

NBC IN YOUR NECK, COMPLETE BACK STABBERS, CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR HOW LENO TRY'S TO CLEAN THIS CLUCK OVER OF SOMEONE HE SAYS HE LIKES.

January 14 2010 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JAMES DAVID

LENO YOU HAVE CLASS BOY TO BAD IT'S ALL LOW, YOU LOST LOTS OF FANS SON AND YOU REALLY DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO O'BRIEN AS I SEE IT, AND A BIKER YOU ARE WHAT A JOKE.

January 14 2010 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TR

oops guess I should provide a link to the TV Guide article I read..

January 14 2010 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric H

January 14 2010 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TR

Just read on TV Guide online that this isn't a done deal.. that nothing has been decided at all yet.

I'm not a Conan fan and stopped watching The Tonight Show once he took over but no one should be treated this badly .... it's a shame all the way around.

January 14 2010 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
catlady

I won't be watching Leno, Hello David Letterman!

January 14 2010 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply