August 21, 2014

Spenser: For Hire - The Choice: Standout Episodes

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 14th 2010 8:00PM
Spencer for Hire(Originally aired October 4, 1985).

It's easy to forget how good a show Spenser: For Hire was. It was on for only three seasons over 20 years ago, it's not on DVD, and I don't think that it's being shown on television right now. But oh, this show was so good.

Robert Urich was the perfect Spenser and Avery Brooks was the perfect Hawk (years later, reading the books, I could only see Urich and Brooks as the characters). And on-location filming in Boston truly added a nice, realistic touch to the show (unlike the later movies, which were filmed in Toronto or some similar place). This show had smart writing, too, and the first person narration? Robert Parker was wrong when he said it was bad.

The episode "The Choice" is about two young people going around killing innocents for sport. It features some nice scenes between Spenser and Hawk, we get to meet Susan's ex, and it has a killer ending. It features William H. Macy, Angela Bassett, and Patricia Clarkson.

[Watch episodes of Spenser: For Hire and other shows at SlashControl.]

Mark

SlashControl no longer has Spenser for Hire. Any Ideas?

February 04 2011 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan

Oh, how I loved Spenser and Hawk -- as well as their friends. Visiting Boston from Southern California in late September 1985, my husband and I walked across Boston Common to our hotel at the end of the first day of a long-awaited vacation. We heard someone say that a "Spenser" was being filmed. I looked around, stepped in a pothole on the asphalt walkway, and later found I'd torn both anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments.
I now have a new, metal/Titanium knee that's nicknamed "Spenser".
Still love the Avery Brooks and the respect the memory of Robert Urich.

January 20 2010 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jan's comment
Ann Hairston

Glad to see that you share my passion for the Spenser stories by Robert Parker.I loved the TV series. As I read I visualize Robert Urich,Avery Brooks and Barbara Stock as the characters in the story. They were perfect. For me no one else could ever step into these characters.Robert Parker was my favorite.

January 22 2010 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beans

I do have copy of all 3 seasons recorded from tv not the best quality but a great series

January 15 2010 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ruby

Both "Spenser" and 'Vegas' need to be on DVD! Urich was one of the best t.v actors to grace the screen, like Wiseguy which is on DVD, these were excellent shows.

January 15 2010 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ruby's comment
Yvette

The first season (Volume 1) of Vegas was released on 10/20/09. Volume 2 of the first season will be released on 2/9/2010.

January 15 2010 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
harbcard

Crap that's what I'll I've felt, I read the books, it was a good translation.

January 14 2010 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

No, the series isn't on DVD yet. Just some of the movies they made later.

January 14 2010 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul McCall

Urich was a good Spenser for TV but not "the perfect Spenser." He didn't have the build or the nose of a former heavy-weight boxer but he played the character well. Brooks WAS the perfect Hawk.

January 14 2010 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Paul McCall's comment
Mark Cohen

Ummm...yeah, it is on DVD, or at least the TV movies are.

January 14 2010 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply