December 22, 2014

CBS renews NCIS: Los Angeles and The Good Wife

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 15th 2010 10:00AM
good_wife_NCIS_laThis should come as no surprise to anybody who's been following the current television season. CBS has renewed The Good Wife and NCIS: LA for second seasons. Both shows are part of a solid Tuesday night lineup for CBS, amassing strong Nielsen ratings and even better numbers in total viewers, holding much of the audience from the NCIS lead in. All that adds up to a winning formula, and thus, CBS wasn't going to break up a good thing.

As for the quality of the two shows, they both deserved renewal. They've improved as the season has progressed, especially The Good Wife. What started out as a good premise has morphed into a very compelling legal drama with a lingering subplot – exactly what did Alicia's husband do to warrant the wrath of the enemies that have put him in prison? It's also a terrific set of actors and a star-turn by Julianna Margulies.

I was critical of NCIS: LA at the start, and even into the first few episodes. However, now it's coming around. The key to the shift, for me, has been integrating the Linda Hunt character, Hetty, as the chief. She's not the leader in terms of action – that's the province of LL Cool J and Chris O'Donnell – but with guidance and wisdom, she hovers and influences. It's all come together to make NCIS: LA a good show ... and getting better.

Scottish Girl

I also have been a fan of As the World Turns since it first came on and I was about 11...my mom watched it.
Then when I worked I would record The Young and the Restless, Bold and Beautiful and ATWT.....I am retired now and love having the time to watch them.....this is a sad thing to lose....sure hope the other two aren't going the same direction.....I always wanted Brad and Katie to stay together....Todays episode where Dr. Hughes and Kim wed....kept referring to the words "ATWT" in a sentence....sad this will soon end.

April 05 2010 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scottish Girl

I love the good wife....but why so many re-runs? I tune in every Tuesday and often it is one we have already seen why is that?

April 05 2010 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gerry

The Good Wife is like watching a quality film every week - it moves at the pace of a film and not a tv show - and that's intriguing. The cast is superlative and the guests have been excellent - which means the casting department is also doing great work. The writing is grown up and better than anything else around. I was never a Margulies fan and now I can't take my eyes off of her or her work. Chris Noth - a coup to get him.
NCIS:LA - not loving it - because the leads are too weak and the writing is - are you kidding me? It's like a spinoff of a spinoff of a spinoff and the quality has been degraded. Watcheable but not that interesting.

January 16 2010 at 4:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gerry's comment
kellyville

I wanted to give ur comment a thumbs up but my stupid touch screen took it as a thumbs down. Ncis los Angeles is a joke. I only watch it because of ll cool j. The plots are boring, there's no forensics which is the most fascinating element of an investigation. They axed a character b4 we could invest In him so no one cares he's missing. The heady midget character I don't get at all, are they federal agents or members of a 3 ring circus??

March 07 2010 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jgreenefields

I love the Good Wife, I am so glad to hear the renewal news, and I too feel the shows have been top-notch from the beginning.

January 16 2010 at 12:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

Yay! I am so excited for The Good Wife renewal because it is an excellent quality, fantastic show, with great characterization of a mom thrown into this bizzarre scandal, that now has to juggle the consequences, her husband & her kids, and the sublot is really intriguing. I was afraid the show would get lost out there since it's not glitzy nor action-ey, and I agree with Richard: every episode has been solid & well developed, hooking me from the get-go. I truly, truly am in love with TGW.

January 15 2010 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

I'm not sure what your comment regarding the quality of The Good Wife means. The Good Wife was quality TV right from the very beginning! Yes, the storyline has developed very well. You don't see this kind of quality on TV much.
NCIS, LA is kind of a predictable show. I do like the Hetty character, but it is all pretty predictable. It's OK and I watch it regularly, but would really like to see something different.

January 15 2010 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linwood Rose

I actually don't like NCIS at all. But I really enjoy NCIS: Los Angeles and because I like that show I've been watching The Good Wife as well. And you're right, they both have gotten much better as they've gone on. Like em both.

January 15 2010 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply