April 24, 2014

Who really got Eric Braeden back on The Young and the Restless

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 16th 2010 9:03AM
eric_braeden_cbsToday was a big day on The Young and the Restless. It wasn't just that Fridays are always big for story revelations -- and there were some doozies today! -- it was the return to the show of one of the biggest stars in the business. Eric Braeden, as his alter ego Victor Newman, made a dramatic entrance just as his two sons were beating the crap out of each other in Victor's office. In typical Victor fashion, Braeden strode into the office and growled, "What the hell is going on here?"

Ironically, Y&R fans were saying the same thing a few months back when Braeden quit the show after a contract dispute. Instead of remaining quiet, the fans spoke out and according to Braeden, there were two major influences that got him back. One was Les Moonves, the president and CEO of CBS Corporation.

"But who essentially stepped in was Les Moonves, who has always been a friend and supporter," Braeden told TV Guide's Michael Logan.

"I don't know how it eventually was solved, but in the end this sort of thing becomes a pissing contest, and there's a point where you say, 'What for?'"

Maria Bell, the head writer of Y&R was the other principal involved in bringing Braeden back to the show. "When I realized how truly, deeply concerned she was, and how appreciative she was of my contributions, it helped sway me."

And, of course, Eric heard from the longtime viewers. "It really was something, wasn't it? And I have to say it had a little bit to do with my decision to come back. I'm a cynic at heart -- I've been doing this Hollywood s--t since 1962 and you learn a thing or two -- but I was very touched by the response."

linda

PLEASE BRING WILLIAM RUSS BACK TO Y&R, I AM SO BORED WATCHING THE OTHER GUY, THAT LOOKS LIKE HE HAS GOT OUT OF JAIL.

February 16 2010 at 4:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
linda

PLEASE BRING WILLIAM RUSS BACK TO THE SOAP HE WAS SO GOOD AND EASY ON THE EYES. DO NOT LIKE THE NEW ONE AT ALL, HE LOOKS LIKE HE JUST JUMPED BAIL SOMEWHERE.

February 16 2010 at 3:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
linda

IF ERIC BRAEDEN "VICTOR" LEFT THIS SOAP I WOULD NEVER WATCH ANOTHER SOAP. HE IS THE GREATEST ACTOR AND I JUST LOVE TO WATCH HIM. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE THIS SHOW, I WOULD HAVE NOTHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO WHEN 12:30 PM CAME IN MY DAY. I DID LIKE THE FIRST TUCKER McCALL THE BEST, HE WAS VERY GOOD, DO NOT LIKE THE NEW ONE AT ALL.

February 16 2010 at 3:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jean solomon

eric braeden,[victor] is the center of the soap as this is how the soap is written.....that the writers cannot write anyhting other than 'victor' says more about their lack of skills than it does about braedens 'acting' which consists mostly of a scowl, a frown and dropped chin....and a vocabulary of 'you got that'& 'i will bury you' usually directed at the jack abbott character.

February 11 2010 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy Ricchiuti

I am so thankful that Eric Braeden was brought back as Victor Newman; he makes the whole show. I have been watching Y&R since the beginning and I was not going to continue if he was let go for good. A mistake I think you are making is letting William Russ go as Tucker McCall; he was much more suited to the roll and played a tycoon very well. Please bring him back!!!!

February 03 2010 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Betty Jackson Koontz

I am happy to see Eric return , before his departure , he had become a wimp. I have grown tired of the way the writers have allowed Adam to escape disclosure so many times . Some us like to see justice prevail . I even stopped watching for a period and if this continues I will drop the show . You let Gloria ,off the hook and repaid her , makes no sence to me . Now you have made Catherine less than her usual self and loose her company , she has always been on the ball in the business sence .

February 03 2010 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debbie hendricks

Eric Braeden is the cornerstone of Y&R. I have been watching this show for 20 years and always love his storyline. As for William Russ, what's with that hair? I like the new actor better. Keep up the great work, writers of Y&R. I never miss a day, unless my cable goes out :(

February 03 2010 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas Taylor

Shows what I know..when a personality leaves the show I always think it for touch-up or something closely related(plastic surgery). When he returned on that friday, I thought to myself..hmm looks just like he did when he left. At any rate I think he makes the show what it is today.

January 23 2010 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn Maxwell

I am glad that Victor (Eric Braeden) has returned. He is an A+ actor.

January 16 2010 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Carolyn Maxwell's comment
marieevaughn

i have been watching Young & Restless for years and do love ictor he makes the show the others are great also esp the older ones guess that tells u my age lol keep them all if u can thanks this show make my day

February 03 2010 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn Maxwell

I think William Russ is fabulous as Tucker Mccall. He has the perfect look, and his acting is superb.

January 16 2010 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply