October 20, 2014

Could Joss Whedon be in FX's future? - TCA Report

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 17th 2010 5:25PM
FX president John Landgraf at the Winter 2010 TCAsFX is one of the few cable networks that does an executive session here at the press tour, and for good reason: they've having a heck of a good last couple of years, on both the comedy and drama fronts. And they seem to be very high on their new shows in development, including Justified, Louie, and a new show from Shawn Ryan called Terriers.

But network president John Landgraf mentioned that he's having lunch in the next few weeks with someone whose presence on the network could be potentially very interesting.

"I think I'm supposed to have lunch with Joss Whedon in two or three weeks," he told us, adding, "I have enormous respect for him."

Of course, a lunch doesn't mean that a Whedon-produced show is in the works. But the prospect of a Whedon show on FX in the next year or two is intriguing, given the network's envelope-pushing style.

What do you folks think an FX show by Joss Whedon would look like?

B

It's now the middle of March...did they go to lunch?? Any update on this story??

March 12 2010 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tonya

It's all conjecture at this point, but hey, Joss is the Captain of his own ship, a very smart man, and if he wants to go on a sortie (sorry, bear with me and the ship analogies) with FX to develop a project, who am I to tell him to trim his sails or batten down the hatches? Owned by Fox Entertainment Group isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, it's who you have to work with and perhaps there are visionaries there like him. I want Joss to work on television because losing him would be a tragedy. If he makes a deal, all I or anyone who loves him can do is hope for the best and send him on his way for his first day of work with his lunch packed in a Pirates of the Caribbean lunch box. And a shiny apple for the Execs.

January 17 2010 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cat

Jumping back into bed the Fox Entertainment Group? Joss must be a closet masochist.

Too lazy to search for it but didn't Joss say at the beginning of Dollhouse that if it got cancelled he was giving up on traditional TV to focus on web programming?

January 17 2010 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cat's comment
Aaron

I agree but I think cable would be a better fit for him anyway.

January 17 2010 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Razorshell

It might be cable, but it is still Fox. I just don't see him creating another show for Fox after Firefly and Dollhouse. FX might treat him better, but with the fans and the following he has, he needs to get some partners and create a show for the Internet. One day we will look back at this foolish network model and laugh. The shows are what matter, as are the people who create, write and star in those shows. In the meantime, a show produced by someone else that airs on FX would be a start.

January 17 2010 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miguel

I love the idea. I think it's one of the few places where Joss could actually do the type of show he wants to do without so many restrictions. And I think FX would actually give the show time to develop. Do It.

January 17 2010 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply