December 19, 2014

How did Ricky Gervais do as Golden Globes host?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jan 18th 2010 7:00AM
Golden Globes 2010, Ricky GervaisWhen I talked with Ricky Gervais a few weeks ago, he said his game plan as host of the Golden Globes was to keep things rolling and have fun with it. He also said comedians are "meant to push the barriers a little bit and see what happens."

He definitely pushed a few barriers on the Golden Globes last night, taking potshots at Paul McCartney's marital troubles, Kiefer Sutherland's anger management issues, and Angelina Jolie's penchant for adopting children from Third World countries (too much, given the dire crisis in Haiti?)

Even Mel Gibson's alcohol troubles came up. Gervais appeared on stage drinking a beer as he introduced his next presenter. "Don't get me wrong," he said. "I like a drink as much as the next man, unless the next man is ... Mel Gibson."

Overall, Gervais' hosting skills fell a little flat for me. Next year, I suggest that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association consider Robert Downey Jr. as host of the Golden Globes. His Best Actor speech for Sherlock Holmes was inspired, funny and charming.

How do you think Ricky Gervais did as host?

Tony the Tiger

He was so dang funny ,Oh my gosh (nothing like mixing truth with humor) I gotta find the stuff on utube and relive it ,it was just to dang funny,I could give a rats behind about awards ( I like who I like and don`t need anyone to tell me who was great)

January 23 2011 at 2:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carla Bacliari

He went a little too far. There's funny.....then there's, "O.K., you don't need to go there or so far for a laugh".
And, please ENOUGH with the Steve Carrell jabs.....we get it.....we get it!!!!!!

January 16 2011 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ricky Gervais Tickets

Buy & Sell Ricky Gervais Tickets through YourTicketMarket.com. One stop shop to catch your favouite event Tickets like Ricky Gervais Tickets, Guaranteed, Fast and Secure!
Ricky Gervais Tickets are on Sale at Yourticketmarket.com

January 25 2010 at 6:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ricky Gervais Tickets

Ricky Gervais Tickets are on Sale at Yourticketmarket.com

January 23 2010 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dj

I like Ricky Gervais but watching the stuff he does in America is not as good as he does In Britain, he notably has to make it more simpler for the American audience,they just seem to struggle to get British intelligent,dry humour. American humour is very in your face visual and obvious, u need an I.Q for British humour.

January 19 2010 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dj's comment
Carla Bacliari

I think we Americans do just fine in the I.Q department.
That said, I actually prefer the British version of "The Office" over ours.
And, the majority of Americans do not need "in your face" , obvious humor to "get it" or to laugh.
Also D.J., lest we not forget the king of "in your face" humor?!: Benny Hill.
Next time you rant about I.Q.'s, or lack of, check your run-on sentences before you submit something.

January 17 2011 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashweee

I guess I would "have some decency" if every natural disaster wasn't a big deal. People choose to live in these places and instead of a host talking about it and letting me know it's happening when I already know, it would be better to volunteer or send money, talking about it and praying really aren't going to do anything, so instead of putting the news into an ENTERTAINMENT show, put it in the news. I watch entertainment to get away from the sad depressing depths of the world.

January 18 2010 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ashweee's comment
Paul

Really? People choose to live in Haiti? And those who want to choose to live elsewhere? That is a profoundly ignorant remark.

January 18 2010 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashweee

I think Gervais is funny, didn't watch the Golden Globes, but I also feel as though maybe his humor was lost on the people, there are a lot of Americans in particular that just don't get dry, British humor, so I can see how he may not have been the best choice.

Also, why is it necessary he say something about Haiti? Just because there are bleeding hearts everywhere doesn't mean it needs to be on EVERYTHING you see.

January 18 2010 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ashweee's comment
Paul

Why? Because it's a humanitarian disaster a stone's throw from our shore. People are suffering, including many of our citizens trapped under piles of rubble. It's decent, respectful and in good grace to recognize these people and raise awareness while we go about out self-centered celebration of cult personality. To refer to people as bleeding hearts is calous. Have some decency.

January 18 2010 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I am in the group that he was overwhelmed, less than funny, took the gig for pay and didn't earn a penny.

January 18 2010 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

Ricky Gervais should host every awards show!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 18 2010 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

I thought he was hilarious, and indeed the only reason I watched the Globes was for him. Give this guy the Oscars, the Emmys, and every other award show!

January 18 2010 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply