September 22, 2014

Howard Stern says no to Coco

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 19th 2010 6:00PM
Howard SternConan's staff asked Howard Stern to come on The Tonight Show later this week (for what will probably be Conan's last week), but Stern has said no. He says that if the show was in New York he'd do it, but he doesn't want to fly out to Los Angeles (I guess doing it via satellite would be kinda lame too). Rosie O'Donnell wanted to do the show too and even offered Stern a private jet for both of them to fly out to do the show, but Stern still said no.

Having Stern on The Tonight Show would be... interesting. He has hated Leno for years and would probably not hold back. Stern also says that he wouldn't hold back on Conan either. He'd ask him pointed questions to find out how he feels about the whole thing. But it's not to be (if NBC were to let Stern on in the first place, something Stern doubts). Maybe Stern can be the first guest on Conan's first show on another network.

Joko

"Real" Americans in flyover land always crack me up. Their stupidity (from inbreeding), coupled with the sheer ignorance that comes from living living in Hannity / Palin land, is a lethal brew! Add in the morbid obesity that plagues them as well and you have a really sorry lot.

February 06 2010 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roedogg

wow, a lot of people really think Coco isn't funny, and that's too bad, cause he really has talent. True, the self-deprepcation goes a little far, but I think Jay was the biggest cry baby ever. Both are multi-millionaires, talented, yet still came off as very immature. I think we the viewers lose in the end from lack of choice in late night. yippee.

January 24 2010 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve

The main reason Leno ever beat Letterman is simply that NBC had (and, I think, still has) more affiliate station.
When you adjust for that- in a sense similar to adjusting for inflation- there never has been much of a contest. letterman is by far the more clever and innovative talent, and the more popular as well. As far as Conan goes, I think he's a really nice guy (unlike Letterman), but I'm sorry to say that I've never really "gotten" him. Maybe it's just a generational thing. I'm over the ususal age of his viewership, but I won't say how much.

January 21 2010 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Theantijonas

oh and before you all bash me for being an America hater, I have 6 words for you.... Why did they cancel Arrested Development?

January 21 2010 at 5:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fancy

I think Leno is more pleasent to watch then Conen. Conen makes me nervous and his antics are so lame. Letterman is a bit stiff, but sometimes funny also.
I blame NBC, no one else for this mess!!!

January 21 2010 at 4:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to fancy's comment
Theantijonas

wow. After reading the comments left here, I am stunned. I will be straight forward and say this much, I am a Conan fan. Also, I do think NBC is to blame for this mess, not Jay Leno.....But when it comes down to it, when was the last time Leno was really relevant? Or actually original? You can say what you want, but the fact remains, we are talking about a guy who has no outside life but his work and even then can't help but steal other people's ideas (Jaywalking?)...I know change is hard, but still Conan put in his time and deserves a chance. Jay Leno wasn't even up in ratings for his first two and a half years after (some would say stealing) the show from Letterman, and won people over with his Hugh Grant interview. Which was actually good. Now compare that with his Kanye West interview.....still think the man has comedic bite?The world is change people, and the fact that Jay Leno and Zuckerman are allowed to get away with things like this is further proof of how ignorant American audiences really are. Grow up. Nothing that glitters is truly gold. Some will disagree with me and that is your right... but to call out Conan because he is "Ugly and has Gay hair"..... Jesus. H. Christ. Wow. Way to make a sound argument and not sound like a complete and total American dipshit. Git R' Done I suppose.

January 21 2010 at 5:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete from Valley Stream, NY

Maybe it's about the $$$, Stern and Rosie would make it the most viewed Tonight Show ever!

January 21 2010 at 4:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Plain and simple... CONAN SUCKS, ISN'T FUNNY, AND UGLY TO BOOT!

January 21 2010 at 4:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Ingram

Conan is a quiter, plain and simple he didn't get the ratings and of couse he blames it on NBC and Jay Leno, not himself. He opted to keep his show the same but it was not the Late Night Show but The tonight show, different style. and when NBC changed the time aWINNER would have said Go ahead I will get the ratings up and Prove I am as good as the other Tonight Show hosts but no he quit, not just NBC but his fans and his people. That is the worst he QUIT on them because it didn't go his way this time.

January 21 2010 at 4:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jean

Go ahead and bash Leno. But a few facts here first. Leno watched Carson suck up every dime the Tonight Show produced because the guy was addicted to marriage. Marriage to gold digging 20 yearolds who were addicted to alimony! His finances due to his taste for "little girls" were a shambles. Doc and Ed got squat for their parts in the show. When Leno took over he changed that. EVERYBODY connected to his show got a very healthy piece of the pie. Leno knew his show would only be as good as the people who helped him make it work. Letterman is a bitter OLD man, course all liberals are prune faced farts. So, what's new. Letterman is "put down" humor and Leno is upbeat. Conan is just plain NOT funny. I have watched. I have tried to like him, but he is just NOT funny. Anyone who thinks he is must also love the Three Stooges. Because Conan is all three in one. And just as boring to watch. NBC IS to blame because they went SOOOOO Uber left with their NEWS and position on things that they blew what little credibility they had left with REAL Americans everywhere.

January 21 2010 at 3:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay Leno Fan

I think NBC is at fault in this whole mess. Conan had no business ever being offered a chance to host "The Tonight Show". Far more qualified TV show hosts/comics than him. He was good in his time slot, but hosting "The Tonight Show" institution will never be, and should have never been, in the cards for him.

Just shows you the idiots at NBC to screw up something special that Jay had going for a long, long time. Jay should've been allowed to call it quits from that show when he wanted to. I hear he is going back to the TS in the 11:30 time slot? They should have never took him off that show, he is the best in the business. I know his earlier show bombed just like Conan's, but that time slot isn't the right time slot for Jay.

January 21 2010 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply