August 28, 2014

White Collar is back tonight at last

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 19th 2010 10:30AM
white_collar_duo_usaHas it really been over a month since White Collar left us hanging on the cliff? Yes, I guess it has. Thank goodness USA has given this show an order for a second season. It's delightful. I know, it's a fruity word, but I can't think of a better one that describes the show. Okay, fun.

Tonight, apparently, we're going to resolve the Kate/Neal/Peter question in some way, shape or form because clearly there are other cases to resolve and the partnership between Neil and Peter is moving on. It's the premise of the show, so it was inevitable that they were going to have to keep it together.

How do I know for sure, well... take a look at the preview. After the jump.

Notice that there are images from upcoming episodes:

Ever since watching the mid-season finale, I've been pondering just what the hell Peter was doing in that encounter with Kate. Was he betraying Neal? Was the FBI really investigating Peter? Why didn't Kate seem surprised or afraid to see Peter?

So, after thinking it over, how about this for a possible explanation: I think Peter has used Kate to manipulate and control Neal all along. What did Kate want Neal to tell her, where is the stash. Isn't that what Peter would want to know. He already had Neal under his thumb -- with the anklet monitor -- and could have locked him up any time if he wanted.

What doesn't Peter have? All the loot. Kate may be reluctantly be going along with Peter's plan, but if she loves Neal and fears that Peter will be harder on Neal if she doesn't cooperate -- possibly putting Neal back in prison -- perhaps that would explain Kate's action. Or maybe she's being told that if she doesn't cooperate, she'll be in jail, too?

What do you think? Share in the comments.

By the way, White Collar is back tonight on USA at 10 p.m. If you want to catch up on clips from White Collar, check out SlashControl.

CC

I just started watching this show during the marathon on Tuesday, and didn't realize I was hooked until it was revealed that Kate was meeting Peter - I was so shocked and disappointed that Peter might betray Neal. I did think all along that Kate was playing Neal, because it's too ridiculous to think she could run all around NYC (plus San Diego) and be in danger, and that she couldn't tell him who has her. I would rather it be that than Peter playing Neal, at least! I would so much prefer Fowler or anyone else be the bad guy instead of Peter.

January 22 2010 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I always thought that Kate was running a scam on Neal. I figured that the photo Neal has was sent by Kate. I do think that Peter caught up with her at the airport trying to skip town. I do think that it is Peter's hand on her shoulder in the photo. She is using it to try to manipulate Neal into giving her the rest of his stash so she can skip town. I never bought the whole I am in danger crap she was giving Neal. How much danger could she be in running around NYC calling him and talking on the phone with him?

Peter of course wants the stash also (he is FBI after all). I am assuming that Kate is also wearing an ankle bracelet under Peter's watchful eye. I don't think Peter is a bad guy but I think his bosses wanted everything returned that Neal stole and this seemed the best way to get it all with no one getting hurt or going to jail.

I think Peter liked Neal even before they partnered up.

If Peter lets Kate run her scam he gets the stolen property back and can spin it so that Neal looks like he returned it voluntarily so maybe no jail time for him. Unfortunately Kate will break Neal's heart.

Just my take on it.

January 19 2010 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pat

I dont know what the whole deal is, but I was thinking that Kate is related to Peter's wife---sister, maybe??

January 19 2010 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beergas

I agree with dan in prior comment. Glad Collar is on against not special at 10 on CBS, can't get into its Goodie Wifey.
Awaiting Burn Notice too. And prob give the new prequel
show of Syfy's Caprica premier. Fem robot so hot.

January 19 2010 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan2ktj

First I love Burn Notice and I think they did a great job with White Collar by using the same story line model. The continuity of the Kate back story just like Michael's Burn Notice. Weekly diversions to keep the characters fresh while spoon feeding us bits to fill in the continuing plot.

I was surprised they made the Peter-Kate connection so early. They may frustrate viewers like Lost by not being able to expose too much story for fear of running out of story line too quickly. Maybe the Peter-Neil relationship will change to a more adversarial one with Peter manipulating Neil only to later discover Peter does what he must with Neil's best interest at heart. Part of a larger operation.

No matter what they need to continue to progress the characters now that they've exposed the deception. I like when shows put major players in jeopardy but there needs to be real risk that there character may be written off. I hate when you know no matter how risky the situation, the guy will be back next week because they need him for the story.

January 19 2010 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply