April 20, 2014

All My Children hires two new head writers

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 21st 2010 6:02PM
all_my_children_logo_bookIt's been weeks since All My Children dropped head writer Charles Pratt Jr. Today, the ABC soap which has just celebrated its 40th anniversary on the air, made a decision about the future story lines for the show. David Kreizman and Donna Swajeski are the new co-head writers of All My Children. The duo have worked together in the past; in 2007 they were winners of the Writers Guild Award for heading up the Guiding Light writing staff.

ABC Daytime prez Brian Frons, was effusive in praising the writers, saying, "David and Donna are the perfect team to bring new ideas to All My Children while remaining true to its core by telling stories with a focus on the integrity of the show's history, its characters and families on the canvas." It helps that Donna actually began her soap writing career at AMC, working directly with the show's creator, Agnes Nixon.

While I like the work Kreizman and Swajeski have done in daytime, I can't be overjoyed about this hiring. Unfortunately, soap operas rarely hire outside the field. The cruel fact is that the best way to get a job as a soap writer is to be a soap writer. The instances when an outsider brings a fresh perspective to the genre are rare indeed.

Hogan Sheffer is the most famous example of someone who came from beyond soap land. He was developing scripts for movies like My Dog Skip, Galaxy Quest and What Lies Beneath before becoming a soap scribe. And at first he was electrifying with the work he did on As the World Turns.

See, that's because he was coming from the outside. My concern for AMC is that Kreizman and Swajeski will serve up the same old, same old. After the rough time with Pratt, I'm sure AMC fans are hoping that Kreizman and Swajeski restore some continuity and character driven storytelling, while bringing something new and interesting to the venerable soap.

zhcmg

Get rid of Greenlee Smythe. The plot line around her and Ryan really stinks. Get rid also of Ryan. Write something innovative and exciting if you insist on David Hayward continuing to be the bd guy. While you are at it, please get rid of Amanda as well.

February 19 2011 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tonya

I don't know about these new writers, did you see Jake pick up Tad's bikini underwear off the floor yesterday in the man cave? The actors seem to be lost these days on AMC with very little direction of what they are doing or where they are going. The Ryan-Erica affair is unbelievable and lately everyone seems to be more like sex addicts than people in love, it didn't take Erica very long to lose all dignity and find a dog with a bone. Yes, a dog, Ryan has lost that undying love for Greenlee by putting it where it don't belong. And Opal of all people is ready for anything and anyone to get it on, I'll bet that she is next on Ryan's list of conquest. I'll bet she sees that in the cards real soon and at that time won't her eyes get wide....

January 26 2010 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracie

To start, my source for the information I posted about OLTL is a set designer who has worked on many of the NYC based soaps, including ATWT and OLTL. For those wondering why if my "source" was for real I would be bothering posting here, my question to them is... why not? My friend is a regular person just like I am. I found out something I felt my fellow ABC soap fans would want to know so why not share what I found out in a place where we could all discuss it and maybe find a way of fixing it? Pride Entertainment, I truly hope that your information is right and that mine is wrong. And regarding Scott's comments as to "people needing help" because of being upset due to a TV shows cancellation, I ask you to listen up. These shows and characters have been a part of our lives for DECADES and when you have ANYTHING that is a daily part of your life removed from it, of course any NORMAL person is going to miss it. Will the world end? Of course not, but it's just a sad thing to see something that has touched so many lives and brought entertainment to so many people for so long just fade away into our memories for no good reason at all.

I, too, am not a fan of Erica and Ryan and would love to see Erica back with Jackson or another man her own age. I loved it when she was with Jack Scalia (Ryan's father). I think they need to bring on an age appropriate actor from the "wrong side of the tracks" to shake things up with her and get her in some blue jeans more often than just when she visits Africa. I LOVE Tad, gray hair or not. He has been my favorite character since the early 80's. I really like him with the new Liza, too.

BTW, I read in an article on Google that (if/when?) OLTL gets cancelled, the characters of Todd, Blair, John McBain, Fish and his BF and maybe Starr and Cole would be moving to AMC. I wish they would bring Natalie over, too. I LOVE her with John and never thought they should have broke the two of them up years ago anyway. I guess they can't have 2 redheads on one show.

January 24 2010 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tonya

Oh dear, I just thought of something, if Zack found out about Ryan and Adian... he might beat Ryan up. But, I don't know of which one Zack would be jealous. They are all really close in Pine Valley.

January 23 2010 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fawn

I try to wach AMC as much as possible. My mom got me
hooked when I was a teen. Every soap has there ups and
downs with story lines. I think new writers will give a
welcome change to some of the characters and stories on
the show. They need to find a more exciting man for
Erica. Having her with Ryan makes her look desparate and
it is not believable. Greenlie will never forgive Ryan. Any
way PineValley needs a little shake up. I am sadden to
hear that the actor who played Palmer has passed away.
I hope AMC gives him a great send off. Get rid of Annie
and the Adam storie. Just give us something different
and make us want to keep waching AMC like always.

January 23 2010 at 8:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tonya

Like I said, since Ryan and Adian have 3 women in common, it is time that they shake up things and have an affair. Everyone would just think that they were very good friends until one day Annie sees them kissing through the window. Then they could just tell her that she is crazy, like they usually do.

January 23 2010 at 8:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tonya

I think that if they want to start up something new they should let Ryan and Adian have an affair on "All My Children", afterall they do have 3 women in common. They could have this secret affair going on and the women would not find out but only think that Ryan and Adian were best friends. Then one day threw the window at the Chandler Estate through the window Annie sees Ryan and Adian kissing on the patio. They both tell her she was seeing things but Annie becomes obsessed and starts following them both and checking on them. Later Opal reads the cards for Ryan and her eyes get very wide.....

January 23 2010 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

Really, American soap operas run too long. Have any of you seen a Latin soap opera? They only run for one season, then move on. In America, they drag on FOREVER. I mean, don't you get tired of the same thing every single time? They should follow the Latin formula, for a HELL of a lot of reasons. Namely pacing. And budget. And story.

January 23 2010 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
living4theday

Soaps use to be wonderful for updating your home decor via the sets and the latest hair style or wardrobe of the actresses use to be inspiration now...I up chuck every time I see Erica's bones in strapless, sleeveless or way to short dresses. She plays a rich woman and should be Chanel clothed or something far more sophisticated.
The story lines are so absurd they are beyond funny or believable.
Could someone get married, have a child and live a peaceful life. Remember Kate Martin and even in time Joe and Ruth. Phoebe was always snobby fun. There are no anchors so it makes it seem that everything and everyone is adrift.
There's no one to bring it on home.
I was hoping to see Greenlee go up against Annie - vixen-diva word play is always exciting. How about a really believable love story. A romance.
Ryan and Erica?! Puh-leez
Oh well, let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I was a fan from day one but the past few years I miss whole weeks and don't miss AMC.

January 23 2010 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
librarian

James Mitchell died yesterday at the age of 89.

January 23 2010 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply