September 22, 2014

NBC, Conan make a $45 million deal

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 21st 2010 9:02AM
Tonight Show logoWell, it looks like it's over: NBC is confirming that they have reached a deal with Conan O'Brien.

The Tonight Show host will leave the show after only 7 months. His last show is Friday night. NBC agrees to pay Conan and his staff $45 million. $32.5 million of that will go to Conan himself while the rest of it goes to his staff, most of whom moved to Los Angeles from New York with Conan to do the show. They thought the show would last longer than 7 months. Silly staff! Some news outlets are also reporting that he can't take many of his bits with him, including Triumph.

Jay Leno returns to The Tonight Show on March 1 (after the Olympics and repeats). His first guest will be Conan O'Brien. Just kidding!

I guess this will be the last time that we use that logo above.

Riley Freeman

its funny people saying they would boycott the show if it wasnt for conan. while conan is getting the shaft, the show did better with leno and leno was still good at what he did. they tried to pass the torch too soon honestly.

so its funny hearing you guys say this when you clearly fall in the minority since the show lost viewers once conan took over

January 24 2010 at 3:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Wow, thanks Jen. Good to hear from you!

January 21 2010 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

Bob, I just had to come over from my FB feed to tell you that the writing on this post could not have been MORE PERFECT. When I saw that you had written it, I thought, "Of course!"

Hope you're well!

Jen

January 21 2010 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

I can't take NBC off my viewing list because I love 30 Rock and The Office too much! But after 30 Rock is over and Jay Leno started it was always like "Eek!, why are they showing this bad show in prime time!". My 80-something dad often turned to Leno's opening when he was on after the news, but he switched to Letterman for the rest of the show. Although he preferred his monologue (to each his own) he prefers Letterman's bits and interviews. He doesn't watch him at 10pm because he likes dramas (or comedies or dvds) better at that time. Even a geezer like him has to be really sleepy to watch a show like that. (Or its opening.)

January 21 2010 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Parnell

I think his non-compete clause has some language about how much time he can spend making appearances on other shows, or when he can. That's smart for NBC, because there's nothing I'd like to see more than Conan as a guest on the Late Show with David Letterman on March 1.

January 21 2010 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben Clark

Any word on his non-compete clause? Will we be seeing Conan on FOX/ABC/QVC anytime soon?

January 21 2010 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I guess it's on to Letterman/Kimmel for at least 8 months. Hope Conan lands on his feet somewhere.

The Tonight Show is now officially off my viewing list. I use to catch it now and again before Conan, but once Conan took over it was must see TV for me.

If it wasn't for Chuck, I'm not sure I'd watch NBC at all.

January 21 2010 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

If it wasn't for Chuck, I'm not sure I'd watch NBC at all.

January 21 2010 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chris's comment
EbonyDad

I am pretty much the same with you. I would boycott NBC if it wasn't for Chuck, Community and The Office.

I am sure in the next 3 years, NBC will only show The Biggest Loser for 2 days, and Law & Order for the other 3.

January 21 2010 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hank

Isn't Triumph an independent comedian?

January 21 2010 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply