October 1, 2014

Will Brothers & Sisters miss Rob Lowe?

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 21st 2010 8:03PM
rob_lowe_brothers_and_sistersAs Bob wrote, Rob Lowe will be leaving ABC's Brothers & Sisters. It's not the show that's writing him out. Rob Lowe has decided that he's not been utilized enough on the show and he wants to move on.

However, ABC wants to keep him part of the network family, so the actor has made a deal with programming head Steve McPherson to try to find a new show for Rob in the future. According to McPherson, "We would like to keep Rob at ABC; we feel he should be anchoring his own franchise. We are in talks now."

If this sounds like a familiar scenario, it's because it is. When Rob Lowe was on NBC's The West Wing, he chose to leave the program in 2003 because The West Wing had become an ensemble, and he had thought he was going to be the star.

This brings up an interesting point: what's more important for Rob Lowe? Doing good work or being a star? Brothers & Sisters is a solid hit for ABC. Leaving a solid hit to anchor his own franchise sounds risky. Who's to say it'll fly? And why give up a good thing? Because Brothers & Sisters is a strong ensemble, losing Rob Lowe won't be too big a deal. In fact, it might open up more story possibilities. As California Senator Robert McCallister, Kitty's husband, he's recently announced that he's giving up politics. He mentioned going off to do good works, so they could write him out that way.

Or Kitty and Robert's marriage could hit the rocks when her run for the Senate becomes too much for him to handle. Maybe he'll have another medical problem like his heart attack, and drop dead making Kitty a widow? Anyway you cut it, Calista Flockhart's going to have some good stuff to play.

Part of me is happy for Rob. He's ambitious and wants to have a success to call his own. On the other hand, he will not be as missed on B&S as he was on The West Wing. When he left that show, there was a void felt. And when Sam Seaborn returned for a few shows in the last season, it was a good thing.

Susie

Who wouldn't miss Rob Lowe? Sally Field and Rob Lowe are the two best actors on the show. I wish he was staying. I will not look forward to viewing the show when he leaves.

March 06 2010 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Babs

The one I would like to see leave Brothers & Sisters is Calista Flockhart. I can't STAND this woman. She is so "put-on" ... hate to listen to her and watch her TALK.

March 06 2010 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justelise

I hope they kill his character off when he leaves so there will be less opportunities to bring him back as a guest star. If you're the actor that goes in and saves a show, I can understand wanting to have more of a role, but he's been phoning it in for a while now. I'm over it. Just being Rob Lowe shouldn't be enough. Him leaving will give the creative team the ability to bring another veteran actor in to shake up the cast, and will likely benefit the show.

January 23 2010 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

So, how did "Dr. Vegas" work out for you, Mr. Lowe?

If you don't like being in an ensemble show, then don't take a freaking part in one, dude.

January 22 2010 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Banks

Get rid of him! he can't act !!!!!

January 22 2010 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jread

I love brothers and sisters and Rob Lowe...I think his leaving will hurt the show...if he already left another show high and dry for the same reason why would the network want to hire him again? ...so he can do the same thing again...and again?! I'm sorry he is leaving...think it's a mistake for him and the show.

January 22 2010 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SadiesRotten

i personally think Rob leaving B & S SUCKS! I grew up watching him in movies, hes my age and I've had a crush on him forever. I know my crush will never be realized, but I still LOVE to look at him each and every week on B & S. DON'T GO ROB! Don't leave my favorite show!

January 22 2010 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Rob, Please don't leave Brothers and Sisters. Your such a big part of the show. I tune in every Sunday night to watch you. Please try to work it out, so you can stay.
I'll miss you so much

January 22 2010 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wndyjw

Please Rob don't go. I love that show, we already have Balthazar making guest appearances not you too

January 22 2010 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janice

Rob Lowe will be greatly missed. B&S is my favorite show, and he is a big part of the show's success.

January 22 2010 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply