September 3, 2014

David Tennant is not on NBC

by Brad Trechak, posted Jan 25th 2010 11:31AM

David TennantIt is with a heavy heart that I must report that NBC has passed on the pilot Rex Is Not Your Lawyer starring David Tennant. Technically they haven't cancelled. The show has simply been put "on hold". Doctor Who was once put on hiatus too and that lasted 16 or so years (except for some charity specials and a television movie), so Rex is in good company.

Rex was originally going to fill one of the 10 P.M. slots vacated by Jay Leno. It had a strong supporting cast with Jerry O'Connell, Jane Curtin and Jeffrey Tambor. It sounded like a winner, so naturally NBC didn't want it. Still, this isn't the only bad decision NBC has made recently and it probably won't be the last.

This is especially heartbreaking news as people (like myself) will not have the opportunity to introduce David Tennant to their friends that aren't Doctor Who fans. The show might be picked up for the fall, so don't give up hope yet. Feel free to post vitriolic tirades against NBC in the comments.

Chase Salyer

The ignorance and stupidity of network executives never ceases to amaze. I only recently found out about this show and saw only a brief clip of it on YouTube, but it looked like it had serious potential. Great move at the Peacock, a failing network that, thanks in large part to Chuck, only barely manages to stay relevant.

February 21 2011 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

Sorry for the duplicate posts. I still getting the hang of things. Thanks for your patience.

February 14 2010 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jan

Figures, NBC loves to mess with people's lives. They did it with Leno and O'Brien, and all their staff, atypical corporate god ruling mere humans and now they are doing it to Tennant! My beef: NBC! Get your heads out of your @*#! and see what was given to you! Your ratings are low and when you have such brillant talent willing to give YOU a chance to improve, you screw it up! Wake up before you can no longer (re)generate your network. If you haven't noticed, I am a Doctor Who fan, have been since Baker, who I thought was the best until Tennant came along. I would put Tennant's talent up their with the best A list if you let him grow. So don't smyte him and rethink your pull decision. Or if nothing else, let another station improve their ratings as you obviously don't care about yours.

February 02 2010 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing David somewhere besides BBC America. He's a good actor and would put his comedic talents to work on this show. I hope they pick it up and it runs a few years. But remember, NBC had JAG on for a year and canned it. Gee, whatever happened to that show? Oh yeah, it ran on CBS for 9 more years and had 2 spin offs. Great move NBC.

January 28 2010 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mego

First Conan now David Tennant... really there is nothing on NBC except Biggest Loser and Law and Order.... I would love to be an editor on a show for NBC right now because every show that they have is 2 hours long...

January 27 2010 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
angel10

I am disappointed that NBC didn't have the taste or sense to recognize such a talented actor...however, I would rather see David Tennant in an ideal situation with a network that will value him and give him the kind of writing that will allow him full use of all of his potential. Otherwise people in the US won't fully appreciate his abilities. I have no doubt that David will have continued success in anything he does, I hope to see him in the US soon.

January 27 2010 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara

I'd love to believe you on that T. Everling, but with NBC also having David E. Kelly create a pilot for fall it might be one too many Lawyer/Legal shows. What stands out for "Rex" is the unconventionality of the premise; Lawyer doesn't want to be a Lawyer and dramedy ensues.

I guess I'll still have a little hope for Fall (but guarded hope).

January 27 2010 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sara's comment
Trish

I think DT should hold out for a series on USA Network. With shows like Psych, White Collar, Royal Pains and best of all Burn Notice they have proven to have very talented writers and execs. consistently. Sorry NBC!

February 14 2010 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T. Everling

I work at NBC.
This article is completely false. REX was never in serious consideration for mid-season as the show would not be ready in time. It would be ready, at the earliest, by early April but we needed it by the winter olympics in order to give it a good launch. It is very much being considered for the fall.
As for you TVSQUAD.com -- do your fact-checking.

January 27 2010 at 2:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to T. Everling's comment
Trish

February 14 2010 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

No wonder I never watch NBC anymore. I just realized this. The Today Show from 7-9 is the only thing I do watch on NBC, and has been for many years. I am almost 51 years old and I remember watching shows on NBC all the time about 25-30 years ago. What happened to you guys. Reality TV is the lazy producer's fare. If you pass on great talent of David Tennant, I might start watching Good Morning America! I think DT should hold out for a series on USA. With shows like Physc, White Collar and Burn Notice, they have it all!

February 14 2010 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scully1058

David Tennant and John Barrowman on the pilot of the US version of Torchwood...just saying it would be awesome, Russell Davies.

January 26 2010 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan H

Jane Curtain is overexposed? I don't remember seeing her since Kate and Allie!

I definitely would have given the show a chance, but who knows, without seeing it, I don't know if it was good or not.

January 26 2010 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dan H's comment
joh

jane curtain was on 3rd rock from the sun for like what 5 years? :)

January 28 2010 at 2:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply