October 26, 2014

How I Met Your Mother's creators are making a new show

by Brad Trechak, posted Jan 25th 2010 10:02AM
How I Met Your MotherCarter Bays and Craig Thomas, the creators of How I Met Your Mother, have signed a contract with 20th Century Fox TV to create a new show. The new comedy is untitled as of yet but is about a young couple and their friends in Pittsburgh, which could actually qualify as a clone of the HIMYM cast if that show was set in Pittsburgh.

The fact that this duo are creating a new show is a good thing for two reasons. First, they are pretty talented at what they do and whatever show they create will undoubtedly be worth a look (at least to determine if HIMYM was their only good idea). Second, perhaps this will motivate the pair to wrap up HIMYM and allow the fans to finally meet the friggin' mother! That particular mystery feels as if it's been going on for too long. The mother should be introduced so they can end the show and move on to Pittsburgh.

Sancty

TV Shows don't sag after 5 or so seasons.

A mix of our expectations mix with our taking the material for granted and that causes our malaise.

Granted, there are exceptions of shows that just completely lose it (Drew Carey anyone?) but for the most part many sitcom's are just hitting their stride by season 4. Friends, Seinfeld and Cheers are prime examples (although Friends did get lackluster around season 9)

Don't worry about the mother or how the story's gonna end, just enjoy the ride. HIMYM is the greatest sitcom on TV, only BBT gives it a run for its money.

I'm glad to see that Bays/Thomas will get another crack... that being said, Friends led to Just Shoot Me so my hopes aren't too high

January 26 2010 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LeeAnn

At 56 years old, I've watched a lot of funny shows. How I Met Your Mother is one of them. It's just plain silly and what we all need at the end of the day. "But Umm!"

January 26 2010 at 7:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen Harris

I grew up in Pittsburgh, my biggest pet peeve, about shows that take place there is the dialect, get the actors a voice coach. For God's sake they took the time to give Hugh Laurie an American accent, take the time to give dialect coaching.

January 25 2010 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kathleen Harris's comment
jamie

except hugh laurie already could do this...

January 25 2010 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel

I honestly think that HIMYM could go on for a few more seasons. And if they would wrap this up fast it would seem cheap. We are now in the 5th season and the 'mother' thing is only heating up!
And the search for the mother isn't really why I watch it. The humour comes from other places not really from this searching. We have the cute couple Marshall-Lilly and the greatest skirt hunter of TV history: Barney Stinson.
I don't know who came up with Barney, but I definetly want to see him more.

January 25 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JT

I like HIMYM but I think it should end soon. Almost every TV series gets dull after the 5th or 6th season and HIMYM is starting to sag. They should end it on a high note before the show starts to repeat itself and they ruin a perfectly good franchise.

January 25 2010 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I love HIMYM, I think it's hilarious and I can relate to a lot of the things that happen to them (even if it's very over the top - that's what makes it funny!) I think the 'mother' thing is just one little piece of the show, not the main focus, Ted's search is the least funniest thing about the show, and the supporting cast is what really makes the show. I even think they could bring on the mother and still have 1 or 2 seasons after that.

I'll be interested to see what the writers come up with, and how they make it different than HIMYM.

January 25 2010 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed

I think HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER is the worst show on TV. I go and do other things when it's on, it makes no sense at all.

January 25 2010 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alk02g

I think they have a couple more seasons of good comedy left in HIMYM. The sucker probably won't go 10 seasons or anything, but I don't mind the "mother mystery" at all. I see no reason to "wrap it up" before it's time.

January 25 2010 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

How about "Why I Divorced Your Mother."

January 25 2010 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mst

As much as i'd like to know the mother it's not the reason i watch the show, and i certainly don't want the show to end.

January 25 2010 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply