August 28, 2014

I love Sandra Lee but not her new show

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 25th 2010 5:27PM
Sandra LeeBefore I go any further I want to say that this isn't another one of those Sandra Lee-bashing articles. I actually like her. Semi-Homemade Cooking is one of my favorite Food Network shows. Having said that, I have a lot of problems with her new (or should I say new-ish) show Money Saving Meals.

I mean, seriously, does this show need to exist? I know times are tough for a lot of families right now, but I don't think that we need to figure out our meals to the point where we know how much each serving costs when we cook the meal for our family. She's always talking about how each serving "only cost $1.07" or "if you buy this you'll save 22 cents!"

If I have to cook (or live) like that, I might as well just stop eating and get my nourishment from an IV. I would also bet that families across the country already cook like this, they just don't have a calculator next to them to figure out what it costs for each member of the family.

The other problem? There are already a half dozen shows on Food Network like this already, if you think about it. Isn't Melissa D'Arabaian's show basically a "make a meal for under $10" show? And Rachael Ray dabbles in the same territory for the most part. Even Semi-Homemade Cooking is a show that has always included tips on making meals cheaply or via shortcut or a combo of both.

Not really sure what they're trying to accomplish with the new show (I would say that using store bought items for the meals would make them more expensive than if you spent more time in the kitchen preparing the meal - for example, buying frozen pre-chopped onions instead of whole onions?), though the food does look good.

So I'll stick with Semi-Homemade Cooking, and if I do watch her new show it will be for the recipes and not to save money.

Sugarandspice

I really do not like her new show at all. Come on folks don't we all know that shredding your own cheese is cheaper, chopping onions is cheaper, cutting celery is cheaper ...I mean come on do the producers (is she one of them) really think we are all that stupid that we don't know this stuff lol. Also, doesn't she know that WE all know that things go on sale?? We all know they go on sale! I mean really come on. The things that she makes on the show don't even seem good. Let's face it it's all basic food the the average
"Joe & Jane" already know how to make. I mean this is basic cooking 101. No need for a show, just buy cooking for dummies.

March 06 2010 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sugarandspice

I like Sandy, but I DO FAST FORWARD thru all her booze drinks! And why does she feel the need to do her bad habbit of putting her hands under all her NON dripping spoons, spatulas, cans ??? Then after cupping them she put the darn thing down right next to where she's cooking! Oh that bugs me ! Has anyone else noticed that?

February 02 2010 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sugarandspice

I like Sandy, but I ALWAYS FAST FORWARD THRU her booze drinks. Anothere things that BUGS me to no end is why does she cup her hand under everythign she touches...likes lids, spoons that are not dripping, forks with nothing really on them ??? Then she lays them right down where she means NOT to spill. Why??? None of these thigns were even dripping. Has anyone noticed that. REally, really BUGS ME !!

February 02 2010 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sugarandspice's comment
Christina

OMG I can't watch her show b/c of the same thing.. the hand-cupping. It's like her left hand is permanently paralyzed frozen into a "cup" position to put under everything. It is so annoying I have to change the channel!

February 12 2010 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scurvypirate73

Sandra not only has a good show, she is way hott.. Wish she would do the show in a bikini

January 27 2010 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

The only problem I have with Sandra Lee is her over enthusiasm for cocktail time. I understand that many people look forward to their drinks, but some of us don't really care for it and if you notice she is the only one that does a drink on every show she films.

January 27 2010 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sue

I agree with the above comment. The cost factor is a bit much and gets boring. I like her decorations. I have gotten a few tips from her. My favorite show is Down Home with the Neeley's!

January 27 2010 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paulcamaro5

I stopped watching her show when I found out she was dating that liberal nightmare Andrew Cuomo

January 27 2010 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PR

I like Semi Homemade better than the new show but have always thought Semi Homemade was the worst name ever for a show. Also, Sandra used to have this terrible habit of licking food off of her fingers. I used to get grossed out they would even show her doing that and then not wash her hands. Yuck. She has since been broken of that habit, by grossed out producers of her show, no doubt.

January 27 2010 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chipramsey

Sandra Lee is a hack and you would be better served watching anything else on the food network.

January 26 2010 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robin

I agree with you, Bob. The new show is irritating. I'd rather spend another $0.80 to get a bag of lettuce than spend the 10 minutes chopping up a head of it. There has to be a happy medium between saving money and not wasting hours and hours on mundane stuff like that.

January 26 2010 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply