April 20, 2014

Like buttah! Megan Mullally's musical commercial

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 25th 2010 9:00AM
megan_mullally_turn_the_tub_aroundHave you seen Will and Grace star Megan Mullally in her latest production? No, not her work in the theater, including an upcoming revival of Lips Together, Teeth Apart. I'm talking about her butter commercial. Yes, yes, that's Megan Mullally in the "Turn the Tub Around" I Can't Believe It's Not Butter commercials.

I have to admit, when I first saw the commercial, I was stunned. It was the strangest margarine ad since William Shatner's classic Promise spots. But the more I've seen of Megan's disco-inspired musical extravaganza for I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, the more I think that the whole thing is hilarious. Megan, in my estimation, has her tongue firmly in cheek.

She hasn't done this because she doesn't have other offers. Instead, it's more like this was a hoot and let's do it. Take a look and you'll see what I mean:

You know, there was something about this commercial that reminded me of a musical ad from back in the 1970s. It starred Ann Miller, the great MGM dancer who had been in On the Town and Easter Parade. It was also a big musical number. If you remember it like me, this should make you feel nostalgic. If you're not, you'll still enjoy it. I'd like to think that Don Draper would have approved of this one.

Bruce Blumenthal

Megan is living in NY & preparing a Broadway musical based on her "Karen" character. My niece works for her.

The Campbell's soup commercial was made by the great comedian/ad man Stan Freberg. Ann Miller's husband was a character actor named Dave something. He had earlier been in "Never Give a Sucker an Even Break" with W.C. Fields.

January 31 2010 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RYAN HEALEY

I also pray this is "tongue in cheek". The first thing that hit me when I saw this commercial was SO SAD that Megan Mullally is broke and has to embarrass herself like this. I love her, but it really does not seem to be something she could choose to do unless she had to.

January 27 2010 at 7:12 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

Just so sad....no residuals coming in for "Will and Grace" reruns?

January 25 2010 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cate

This wouldn't be Megan Mullally's first foray into musical commercials. You've never seen the "Chocolate is better in color" M&M commercials? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB-0RcGq7j8

January 25 2010 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

I, too, am hoping that Megan Mullally did this commercial with a tongue in cheek attitude. To imagine otherwise would be incredibly sad. She's talented but watching her shill margarine in a corny commercial really is cringe inducing. Here's hoping she gets some real work, fast.

January 25 2010 at 11:08 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Michelle's comment
BC McKinney

It's attitudes like this that cause big stars to usually only do ads in Japan and other countries where we won't get to see them.

January 25 2010 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
golfboyu

You obviously don't know much about her or you would know that she has tons of what someone with your opinion would call "real work". The person who wrote this article nailed it when they stated that the commercial is done tongue in cheek and because it was a hoot.

January 26 2010 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply